• Welcome to Hurricane Electric's IPv6 Tunnel Broker Forums.

My first v6 tunnel is up, but...

Started by MarianoF, September 07, 2011, 07:09:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MarianoF

Hi to all from Buenos Aires, Argentina.

My IPv6 tunnel endpoints are:

Server IPv6 Address:2001:470:4:800::1/64
Client IPv6 Address:2001:470:4:800::2/64

I have a wrt160n Linksys with dd-wrt installed (with no IPv6 support on it). Behind this router, I have a Win 7 and some couple of emulated routers in GNS3. I have tried to terminate the tunnel in the GNS3 router, which can perfectly reach the v4 internet. The thing is that it can't reach the v6 internet. When I try to ping v6 sites, I'm succesfully able to resolve the v6 DNS entries (for example ping http://ipv6.google.com/ resolves to the correct v6 address), but can't ping.

In the linksys, I've configured the gns3 v4 router ip address in the DMZ, and explicity forwarded port 41 (tcp and udp) to the local 192.168.x.x router address, but still no luck. So, my question is, where could be the problem? Linksys is not allowing port/protocol 41?

Important things to consider:

- Gns3 router is perfectly able to reach any v4 destination (by ping and telnet)
- Gns3 router is unable to ping the v6 address of the server endpoint 2001:470:4:800::1/64

Any help would be appreciated!

Thanks.

cholzhauer

In the linksys, I've configured the gns3 v4 router ip address in the DMZ, and explicity forwarded port 41 (tcp and udp) to the local 192.168.x.x router address, but still no luck. So, my question is, where could be the problem? Linksys is not allowing port/protocol 41?

Keep in mind that port != protocol.  There are some routers where moving your host to the DMZ doesn't help anything, unfortunately. 

MarianoF

Quote from: cholzhauer on September 07, 2011, 07:16:23 AM

Keep in mind that port != protocol.  There are some routers where moving your host to the DMZ doesn't help anything, unfortunately. 

OK, what's your point behind that? Should I try another router? I could try a direct internet connection without router, but that means unplugging my whole wifi network from the internet. What other solutions do you suggest?

cholzhauer

If you can move your tunnel router ahead of your firewall, that'll prove it. 

You could get a router that supports hosting the tunnel directly on it

Mangix

after installing dd-wrt on multiple routers i can safely say that dd-wrt passes protocol 41 out of the box. at home i have ipv6 set up directly on the router(an e1000v2 which succeeds the wrt160n) but before that i used a 6in4 tunnel directly on a windows 7 machine. no dmz needed. i've also had success setting up teredo with it.

may i ask what version of dd-wrt you are running?