• Welcome to Hurricane Electric's IPv6 Tunnel Broker Forums.

Which free sub-domain service does have IPv6 glue records (for sage test)?

Started by miklcct, November 04, 2011, 06:16:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

miklcct

I registered a subdomain miklcct.csproject.org, intended for permanent use. Then I took the test, level by level, with all my DNS server, web server and mail server set up correctly, to guru test. Then I checked for the glue records, level by level, and found that there was no AAAA record for the name server of csproject.org, ns4.afraid.org. This was an EPIC FAIL, because it meant that my site was not accessible from IPv6-only networks. I forgot to take this into consideration when I was registering. From what free service should I register a subdomain in order to make it accessible from IPv6-only records?

cholzhauer

miklcct

cholzhauer

Right, afraid doesn't support it.

I know GoDaddy does, but you have to pay for that

Did you see this post?

http://www.tunnelbroker.net/forums/index.php?topic=555.0

snarked

Even if the name servers at afraid.org had IPv6 addresses, such would not be glue to the zone you're using.

To be glue, the label(s) of the name servers must be subordinate to the zone they serve and thus not be resolvable via the normal resolution procedure.

Example:  "ns1.afraid.org" is glue to "afraid.org" but not glue to any other "*.afraid.org" subzone.

For you to have glue for "miklcct.csproject.org" requires a name server hostname label of the pattern "*.miklcct.csproject.org."

miklcct

Then, how can I test for the glue to csproject.org? I queried the NS records for csproject.org and they are ns?.afraid.org.

snarked

Create "ns1.csproject.org" (or any other equivalent name of your choice).  You'll need to add it both to your zone and your domain records.

miklcct

After reading through the material, I want to ask "Which free sub-domain service has an AAAA TLD glue of the parent domain?". I run everything by myself, including the DNS. Therefore, the only thing I need now is a sub-domain name.

polarhome

Hello,

even if you host your own DNS, your registrar is responsible for TLD ipv6 glue and a subdomain glue is not enough for sage test as it is about TLD glues. You have to ask your registrar for this - if they support.

I use godaddy and followed one thread in this forum -that I could not find right now :(- with godaddy domain management screen-shots - and it worked perfect.

Regards,
Z

miklcct

That means I'm stuck forever?!

All domains by afraid.org do not have any glues because they are managed by out-of-domain name servers!

To get a 2nd level costs me a huge sum of money!

polarhome

Hello,

Quote from: miklcct on January 04, 2012, 01:01:57 AM
Unfortunately, this is the case :(

It is not that huge amount. Originally networksolutions hosted my domain and it costed me abou 50 USD per year (and they could not manage the TLD IPv6 glue for few months) - then I decided to move over to godaddy. It was that easy that I did it in few hours and there worked out of the box together with the glue and the Sage test as well.
At godaddy domains cost less than 15 USD per year and the first year is for free. (Please note - this is not a godaddy advertisement - I am just simply a satisfied customer)

Follow http://www.tunnelbroker.net/forums/index.php?topic=157.0 Reply #10 - that really worked.

Regards,
Z

miklcct

Quote from: polarhome on January 04, 2012, 01:36:59 AM
Hello,

Unfortunately, this is the case :(

It is not that huge amount. Originally networksolutions hosted my domain and it costed me abou 50 USD per year (and they could not manage the TLD IPv6 glue for few months) - then I decided to move over to godaddy. It was that easy that I did it in few hours and there worked out of the box together with the glue and the Sage test as well.
At godaddy domains cost less than 15 USD per year and the first year is for free. (Please note - this is not a godaddy advertisement - I am just simply a satisfied customer)

Follow http://www.tunnelbroker.net/forums/index.php?topic=157.0 Reply #10 - that really worked.

Regards,
Z

15 USD per year --- that's a reasonable amount.

I think I will try it later after I get into university.