• Welcome to Hurricane Electric's IPv6 Tunnel Broker Forums.

News:

Welcome to Hurricane Electric's Tunnelbroker.net forums!

Main Menu

Help! configure XP, please...

Started by Ninho, November 12, 2011, 01:28:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ninho

I've reluctantly "upgraded" (hmmm...) from Windows 2000 to XP Pro, SP4 updated.

Hate to have to confess I can't for my salvation make my tunnel work again :-(

I have tried every(?)thing, old style IPv6.exe, new style netsh commands. To no avail, even the remote side of the tunnel isn't responding (yes I have disabled the Windows firewall).

I even reverted MS Q978338 isatap security update (manually restoring previous versions of tcpip6.sys and 6to4svc.dll, so this problem does not come in my face).

Nothing has worked! Whereas it ran so smoothly in Windows 2000. As almost always, "upgrading" an MS solution has made things more painful, not less !

This is very aggravating, can someone please point to a precise step by step list of commands for having a working tunnel again ? The instructions on the tunnel broker settings page do not work (for me), full stop.

Reminder of my physical installation : I have an aDSL modem+router which passes IP protocol 41 packets to the XP computer. Only asking for instructions to establish the 6in4 tunnel from the XP comp to HE's broker. It would be nice if it could work with the Microsoft fix also, but at least, I need a working tunnel even if it means permanently removing the fix.

Thanks  x1000 in advance !

--
Ninho

kriteknetworks

Ninho

Did you forget the  ;) smiley, Kriket, or whether I'm missing your whole point...

Quote from: kriteknetworks on November 12, 2011, 08:45:04 PM
Upgrade to Windows 7.

Not under severe torture.

Someone ? We need an updated Windows guide since HE's instructions don't (seem like they) work (any more)

--
Ninho

cholzhauer

Heh, I'm inclined to agree with kriteknetworks

That being said, I haven't heard of the HE instructions not working for anyone else.

Are you positive that your router is passing proto41?  Maybe your public IP address changed?

Ninho

Quote from: cholzhauer on November 13, 2011, 08:33:38 AM
Heh, I'm inclined to agree with kriteknetworks

That being said, I haven't heard of the HE instructions not working for anyone else.

Are you positive that your router is passing proto41?  Maybe your public IP address changed?

Ahem, yes I'm positive about the router - all the same I've been using it with HE successfully for years, day after day.
It ceased working the moment I installed Windows XP Pro SP3 in place of Win 2k :(

When my IP changes, I update the tunnelbroker's data, goes without the saying.

You believe HE's instructions work for "anyone else", but have /you/ got a tunnel now working and that is terminated at an up to date XP ? I'm not sure "anyone else" have comparable setting (AIUI, many people terminate the tunnel at their edge router, a luxury my Speedtouch does not afford)

Regards !

Ninho

Quote from: cholzhauer on November 13, 2011, 08:33:38 AM
I haven't heard of the HE instructions not working for anyone else.

Hi again, Cholzhauer!

I've revisited the XP SP3 config from scratch and, yes! your above quoted motto will be confirmed again :=)

My ipv6 now working as it should, bot the ptp tunnel and routing on the rest of my LAN.
I honestly can't tell what caused me problems earlier - could have been gremlins...

There remains the question yet of Microsoft update KB978338 : I reverted the updated files (tcip6.sys and 6to4svc.dll) to pre-update versions, but I would be happier to have the tunnel work with the new files. What isatap.domain name should I add to my hosts file, please again ?

I'm a workgroup computer, not an (AD) domain, nor an internet registered domain!

Should that be : isatap.myworkgroupname ? or isatap.mynetbioscomputername ? Something else ? Nothing will work ?

You'd tell me to try, but I think I've tried all options I could think of, and tired of rebooting as many times (thank you, MS)   :=)