• Welcome to Hurricane Electric's IPv6 Tunnel Broker Forums.

Is protocol 41 blocked for me?

Started by SoupDragonJutsu, November 15, 2010, 05:45:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SoupDragonJutsu

I originally tried setting up my Windows Server 2008 R2 for IPv6, I'm using Virgin Media's terrible combo box, VMDG280 as my endpoint, which I suspect does block protocol 41 but I can enable DMZ on there.
However, no matter what I tried, I just couldn't get it working - was getting errors such as Generic Transmit Error (or something similar) when pinging ip6.google.com.

But I did go and try it in Ubuntu, whilst the Linux-route2 instructions didn't work either, the Linux-net-tools instructions worked perfectly fine. It actually worked without me changing anything in the Virgin Box, DMZ was off too.
So I'm a bit confused what's going on here..  ???

Alex

cholzhauer

You said it worked in Ubuntu behind the same router/firewall, so that tells me that Protocol 41 is not being blocked.

SoupDragonJutsu

I thought that too, but have no idea what to try now, I've also tested on Windows 7 (also 64-bit) with no luck. I'm wondering if it could be to do with my end-point since when following the Linux-net-tools method you do not specify your end-point IP

cholzhauer

Well, we need some more information...what did you try? What isn't working? lets see:

1) the commands you used to set up the tunnel. 
2) routing tables
3) output of ipconfig /all

SoupDragonJutsu

I really don't want to post all the here, could get messy, so I've pasted it all at these links below:

Windows 7
http://pastebin.com/x2dfBVaP

Ubuntu 10.10
http://pastebin.com/sWuSf934

Sorry for dumping so much stuff!

cholzhauer

You said Ubuntu works, so I'll ignore that config for now.

For Windows:

1) Line 12 needs to be:

netsh interface ipv6 add v6v4tunnel IP6Tunnel 192.168.0.100 216.66.80.26

2) You need to assign an IPv6 address to your "Local Area Connection" adapter from your routed /64 or /48

SoupDragonJutsu

Sorry for taking so long, I got it all working in the end

Thank you for all your help :)

LuckyMan

on Ubuntu log line #12, you should use routed /64 or /48 instead of tunnel endpoint address, which is just one number difference (1f08 and 1f09)

wayne386

have also had the same problem, but how did edit my config on my windows box?