• Welcome to Hurricane Electric's IPv6 Tunnel Broker Forums.

News:

Welcome to Hurricane Electric's Tunnelbroker.net forums!

Main Menu

cisco help

Started by rmis, February 21, 2012, 07:15:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rmis

so ive gone and set things up on my cisco 1700. Ive got the tunnel to ping from both ends, ie i can ping router end and server end of the tunnel, as well as ping ipv6 targets on the net.
Ive set up my lan side using a /64 from my /48 allocation, that side works as well, computer can ping router visa versa.
i have a default route set up to point to tunnel0.

i cant ping from the computer to the tunnel server, nor can i ping other hosts beyond my router. I imagine its a routing problem, likely no route set up to forward the /48 to the /64 tunnel. but how do i set up a route on HE's side. Right now packets are getting out but not back..

how to i set up routing tables on H.E?
I should be studying for my CCNA, but i'm stuck obsessed with IPV6

broquea

Paste relevant cisco configs? Is 'ipv6 unicast-routing' in the config? Might also want to email ipv6@he.net and have them check that the /48 static route is correctly set. In meantime try and see if the default routed /64 (which you get before requesting a /48) works.

rmis

QuoteIs 'ipv6 unicast-routing' in the config?
Bingo!! that was it.. got my new badge  :) thank you!!

But what manner of dark magic is this? how does HE.net know to send traffic for my 2001:470:cafe:2::/64 subnetted out of my 2001:470:cafe::/48 assignment to my different 2001:470:a:101::/64 for the tunnel? I have no rip, bgp or ospf running.. how does it figure out the route? strange magic indeed me thinks..

thanks again!!

broquea

It is a static route on HE's side, doesn't get easier than that. The /48 is pointed at the Client IPv6 address of the tunnel's p-t-p /64.

rmis

Bing!! the lightbulb goes on!

ok, so route the whole /48 -> tunnel, that makes sense.. ive been too close the problem to see the big picture :-)

I guess you cant't have multiple tunnel endpoints then. eg more than one router connecting to the HE tunnel server using the tunnel IP6, or is that where BGP routes come in?

broquea

Well if your router has multiple IPv4 addresses sure, but you'd get a different tunnel assigned to each, with its own address allocations. You'd need your own IPv6 allocation and ASN to do any kind of BGP with HE.

neustyle

Quote from: broquea on February 21, 2012, 09:19:38 PM
Paste relevant cisco configs? Is 'ipv6 unicast-routing' in the config? Might also want to email ipv6@he.net and have them check that the /48 static route is correctly set. In meantime try and see if the default routed /64 (which you get before requesting a /48) works.

Wow.. you just saved me hours of searching.... I cant believe I missed the ipv6 unicast-routing. Thanks!