• Welcome to Hurricane Electric's IPv6 Tunnel Broker Forums.

Does Android and/or iOS support SLAAC?

Started by anth0ny, June 17, 2012, 10:15:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

anth0ny

Okay, I've got an HE tunnel, forwarding, and radvd running on my lubuntu box.  Windows XP assigns itself a v6 IP, and everything seems to work fine on it.

Neither my iPad, my android phone, nor my android tablet, are getting ipv6 addresses.  The tablet is running ICS, and the phone is running Gingerbread.  I've come down to two most likely possibilities: 1) iOS and Android (Gingerbread and ICS) don't support SLAAC, and I have to set up DHCPv6; or 2) radvd is advertising on the wired network (which the Windows XP machine is connected to), but not the wireless network (same router/switch, same class C private IPv4 address range, if this matters).

Running a diagnostic on either Android device, I see that the interface has an fe80:: address.  But no 2001:470 address.

broquea

All my Android devices since 2.x have supported SLAAC and privacy addresses over wifi. I just took this SS while typing out this reply, from my ICS phone on wifi.

anth0ny

Quote from: broquea on June 17, 2012, 10:25:17 AM
All my Android devices since 2.x have supported SLAAC and privacy addresses over wifi.

Thanks.  Apparently the problem is something to do with it working over the wired connection but not working over wifi.  I just tested with my wife's laptop, and she gets IPv6 when plugged in over the wired connection, but no IPv6 when only accessing via wifi.

Doesn't make a whole lot of sense.  Maybe something in the firewall settings on the router (Verizon 9100EM)?

broquea

Does it operate a separate wifi nic, or is there a bridged device? Most NAT appliances will usually bridge wired/wireless and then you configure everything on that interface.

cholzhauer

My droid3 with 2.3 has never gotten an ipv6 address...i'd be curious to see if you can figure it out

broquea

Quote from: cholzhauer on June 17, 2012, 02:12:34 PM
My droid3 with 2.3 has never gotten an ipv6 address...i'd be curious to see if you can figure it out

I only run Google OTA (and incidentally unlocked Google made phones G1 for 1.x, NexusOne for 2.x, Google Nexus "Prime" for 4.x (Galaxy Nexus)), not carrier OS versions. Maybe Verizon Droid OS series had IPv6 stripped out by themselves or whomever made the phone and updates the software.

kriteknetworks

anth0ny

Alright.  Working on my android tablet (ICS).  Not working on my android phone (Froyo).  Working on my wife's iPad.

The solution was to use a different wifi switch (a dlink DIR-601).  My 9100EM is not passing radvd advertisements to the wireless devices.

Now that I've confirmed it's working, I guess the long-term solution is going to be to set up a linux box as a firewall between the 9100EM and the dlink.  Has some other advantages in addition to supporting ipv6.  I'd ditch the 9100EM altogether, but I'm using the MoCA port, and don't feel like rewiring everything...yet.

Thanks again for the confirmation that this was a setup issue, and not an Android/iOS issue.  I'll followup if I find out anything interesting when moving to the firewall setup.

danixsystems

Oh, so I'm not the only one having these issues. At home, my radvd advertisements are being sent on wired and wifi without a problem. However, at work the radvd adverts will not pass through to the wifi network. I can set up my IPv6 addy manually and put up a static route to the tunnel box, and it works pretty well.  ???

Weird, as it seems that only the radvd adverts are being blocked. Maybe the ISP-supplied router is doing strange stuff?

pimp

My iOS devices running iOS 6 certainly support SLAAC. Sadly, there's no evidence of this in the UI, but you can confirm either by checking in Safari (eg, going to ipv6.google.com) or by using a utility like IT Tools that can show all network interfaces on the device.