• Welcome to Hurricane Electric's IPv6 Tunnel Broker Forums.

News:

Welcome to Hurricane Electric's Tunnelbroker.net forums!

Main Menu

thank you

Started by veri, June 19, 2012, 04:03:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

veri

Even though I haven't asked any questions myself, I just wanted to say thanks to everyone on this forum for the advice it gives and those who run the tunnelbroker service itself.

I have had one HE tunnel for several years and, after being treated *oddly* for the second time for reporting faults with a certain other provider, I have moved the remainder of my tunnels over to HE.

I hope that more people's first IPv6 experience is with HE. I feel that one of the main reasons that take-up hasn't been faster is that it's viewed as an elite/geek thing, and if it's not all working first time then you're just too stupid. But, as I have learnt, sometimes you make silly mistakes, and other times there are problems not of your own making (even though it may take asking a third party to confirm it!).

Regards.

cholzhauer

I have had one HE tunnel for several years and, after being treated *oddly* for the second time for reporting faults with a certain other provider, I have moved the remainder of my tunnels over to HE.

Heh, gee, I wonder where you could have possibly received this response   :)  Glad everything is working

kasperd

Quote from: veri on June 19, 2012, 04:03:05 AMI hope that more people's first IPv6 experience is with HE. I feel that one of the main reasons that take-up hasn't been faster is that it's viewed as an elite/geek thing, and if it's not all working first time then you're just too stupid.
I hope more people's first experience will be with native IPv6 from an ISP that takes it serious. I have the impression that most of the problems people in here experience the first time is due to the complexity in tunnelling. Problems due to IPv6 being different from IPv4 are fewer.

I am wondering which provider you might be talking about. I know of three other providers of free IPv6 over IPv4 tunnels.
- sixxs.org my only experience with them is strange bureaucracy preventing me from signing up.
- gogo6 as far as I can tell only offer a non-standard service that requires their own proprietary client.
- tb.netassist.ua very bare bones 6in4 service, seemed a bit less reliable than HE, but signing up and getting it working was trivial

Of those I have tried so far, I still think HE is the one I would recommend.

I guess you are probably not going to tell us which tunnel provider you came from, and that is fine.

holtnetwork

This is my fisrt post and I also wanted to say thank you for your service. What you offer is absolutely brilliant for somebody trying to get geared up for IPv6.

gawamakito

Quote from: veri on June 19, 2012, 04:03:05 AM
I hope that more people's first IPv6 experience is with HE.

Hello, I am Makito from Cambodia, my first IPv6 tunnel is from HE, and now I am still trying to understand more about IPv6. ;D

jtcloe

Quote from: kasperd on June 19, 2012, 06:02:24 AM
- gogo6 as far as I can tell only offer a non-standard service that requires their own proprietary client.
Its my understanding that gogo6 does actually use a real ipv6 tunnel (aka 6in4, protocol 41 tunnel, sit tunnel), same as he.net, BUT, they give no direct way to update the endpoint ip's.

Their "solution" is to run the client on an internal MS Windows PC, then once the endpoint IP is updated on their side, you can build the tunnel to a real router, linux box, or whatever that supports 6in4 tunnels.

The other catch is, the "client" has to stay running, or be started at least once a day (within 24 hours), or the tunnel will be zapped.  Once zapped, you won't get the same ipv6 range back.

Again, that's my understanding, never done it myself.

kasperd

Quote from: jtcloe on June 22, 2012, 03:19:18 AMTheir "solution" is to run the client on an internal MS Windows PC
Which makes it completely useless for me. There aren't any Windows machines on my network. And even if there were, they would at some point get NATed through a different IPv4 address than the one used for the tunnel endpoint.