• Welcome to Hurricane Electric's IPv6 Tunnel Broker Forums.

Can true routing occur with the typical /64 assigned by the tunnel broker?

Started by bbiandov, June 29, 2012, 06:20:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bbiandov

I read the forums and find it ironic that most people do NAT with IPv6... Wasn't that one of the main points. Ok on a serious note, I want to do true IPv6 routing, no NAT.

However with the /64 address assigned by the tunnel broken that appears NOT to be possible?

It is apparent that what one gets assigned does NOT allow routing. For example:

Server IPv6 Address:2001:470:1f04:6dd::1/64 -- that is HE's end of the tunnel
Client IPv6 Address:2001:470:1f04:6dd::2/64 -- assigned to the tunnel0 interface

In this situation what address would one assign to the router interface facing the LAN and to all of the hosts on the LAN? Can't be anything 2001:470:1f04:6dd:: of course because that's on the same network number as the tunnel.

So then what good are all those /64 addresses if one can't route them? Sure they are good if you NAT them one-to-one but c'mon...

What am I missing? We are talking in context of Cisco IOS - latest and greatest images that do support IPv6...

Thanks

jtcloe

There's a second /64 that CAN be routed and is routed over that point to point tunnel.

There's a lot of debate about how "big" if a network should be used for a point to point, in this case (and a lot of providers are doing this) HE is using a /64.

There are some things that break if you try to PTP with just a /128, some people use a /126 but this isn't very popular.

But yes, your tunnel actually has two /64 ranges, one is used to build the point to point, the other is routed over that and used how ever you want.

bbiandov

Quote from: jtcloe on June 29, 2012, 06:48:07 PM
There's a second /64 that CAN be routed and is routed over that point to point tunnel.

There's a lot of debate about how "big" if a network should be used for a point to point, in this case (and a lot of providers are doing this) HE is using a /64.

There are some things that break if you try to PTP with just a /128, some people use a /126 but this isn't very popular.

But yes, your tunnel actually has two /64 ranges, one is used to build the point to point, the other is routed over that and used how ever you want.

Cool, so what is the second /64? I can't see it. How does HE tell you what is the address range of that second /64?

All that they report on the tunnel broker registration is this:

IPv6 Tunnel Endpoints
Server IPv4 Address:72.52.104.74
Server IPv6 Address:2001:470:1f04:6dd::1/64
Client IPv4 Address:12.220.66.2
Client IPv6 Address:2001:470:1f04:6dd::2/64

Pictures speak... well we know, take a look:

broquea

Uhhh...look below the client/server IPs and there is this whole "Routed IPv6 Prefixes" section. It will list the statically routed /64 you get by default, and give you an option to have a statically routed /48 if needed.

bbiandov

Quote from: broquea on June 29, 2012, 07:00:11 PM
Uhhh...look below the client/server IPs and there is this whole "Routed IPv6 Prefixes" section. It will list the statically routed /64 you get by default, and give you an option to have a statically routed /48 if needed.

LOL yah I saw that but I just could not believe HE's decision that they will waste /64 for the point-to-point tunnel... :)

Thanks

broquea

Waste how? Aren't running out of 2000::/3 quite yet, and then there are a few more /3s after that one is used up.

bbiandov

Quote from: broquea on June 29, 2012, 08:17:22 PM
Waste how? Aren't running out of 2000::/3 quite yet, and then there are a few more /3s after that one is used up.

Sure, plenty of addresses left. Thanks - the /48 does work just as I expected, no NAT and true routing on the LAN interface of the router and whatever hosts I have facing that LAN interface: