• Welcome to Hurricane Electric's IPv6 Tunnel Broker Forums.

Have to reboot router after IP change to get working again

Started by deadman3000, July 04, 2012, 04:50:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

deadman3000

Hi. I have an issue. My ISP recently switched to proper dynamic IP on their DHCP servers. Previously IP's had been sticky and I used to take advantage of this to the effect that I could obtain a static IP for no extra cost. Plus I had the flexibility to switch IP's manually if I needed to. Now however the servers force an IP change and you effectively lose any connectivity if you try to force an IP. No probs though in the fact I can use a script to update the endpoint every time the DHCP changes the IP (I have been informed that this is every hour).

However when this happens and after I change my endpoint IP I lose connectivity to the tunnel. The only way seems to be that I have to reboot the router (A Netgear DG834Gv4 with custom DGTeam firmware - now defunct). Update the new endpoint IP (again since it changes after every reboot of the router now) and re-run the XP commandline (usually have to reboot that too I think).

Does anyone know of a way around this issue so I don't have to keep rebooting the router? Or is this a problem with my router? Replacement suggestions if this is the case greatfully appreciated.

EDIT: After further testing it seems the IP does not change upon expiration of the DHCP. However I had to roll back to a different firmware to get this working. I read on the ISP's forums that things might be fluid for the next 30 days so I won't know for sure the answer until then. I cannot see any reason why they would keep assigning different IP addresses every hour as that could cause serious problems. But then again I know for a fact that BT's fiber offering does!

cholzhauer

It seems like having to reboot the router isn't "normal"  I've never heard of anyone else on here having to reboot after their IP address changed.  I'd assume a new router would fix your problem; This is what I've been using with my tunnel

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833127241