General IPv6 Topics > IPv6 on Linux & BSD & Mac

Joining Router to all-routers multicast

<< < (2/2)

snarked:
Interfaces have a "multicast" flag.  See if that flag matches the ones you see (it should) and if it is absent from the other interfaces.  If that's the case, then you need to use "ip" or "ifconfig" to set the multicast flag, and see if that fixed the issue.

Virtual interfaces based on a real one (or set, such as bond0) usually reflect the multicast flag of the real one(s).  Could it be that one of your bonded interfaces has an incorrect flag?  (That shouldn't happen, but it can).

I don't use the CentOS distribution, so you've probably reached the limit of my help and suggestions.

fukawi2:
Well if we focus on bond0.42, it does has the multicast flag set:

--- Code: ---fw1 ~ # ip a s bond0.42 | head -n1
16: bond0.42@bond0: <BROADCAST,MULTICAST,UP,LOWER_UP> mtu 1500 qdisc noqueue state UP
--- End code ---

Thanks again for all your input on such an old thread.  Obviously things have been working fine, but I still want to know how it's supposed to work! :)  You've given me some good guidance; I'll keep playing with it and see what I can work out.

EDIT: It seems the interfaces that I run radvd on are joined to the group; those that I don't send RA's on are not joined. Which makes sense!  It's radvd that takes care of the mcast group membership; not the kernel or CentOS userspace.  I'll dig in to radvd to see if I can trick it in to joining without sending RA's.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version