• Welcome to Hurricane Electric's IPv6 Tunnel Broker Forums.

Tunnel (Server) Endpoint Moved - Can you select a new Tunnel Endpoint?

Started by cuthalion, August 22, 2012, 07:05:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cuthalion

Hello,

I've had an HE tunnel up since 2009.  It works great and I love it :)

Over the last few days I noticed that Google is geo-locating all the computers on my network to Germany (we get the .de ccTLD for any Google sites we visit).  This seems to be because we are accessing Google over IPv6 and the HE Server IPv4 endpoint is the pop in Frankfurt (216.66.80.30).  I haven't changed anything on this tunnel in years and I recall picking the Chicago POP back in 2009 so maybe HE decided to shuffle end points around, not sure.

What I am wondering is if there is someway to change the IPv4 server endpoint for my tunnel to something here in the US?  I  know that I can create a new tunnel but I want to keep my current IPv6 netblock so I don't have to re-address all the computers on my network. 

Thanks.

cholzhauer

As far as I know, this is not possible; the address alloation stays with the end point

kcochran

Google wouldn't really have any way to know what the IPv4 endpoint based on your IPv6 address, unless of course they mapped out which prefixes are associated with which tserv.

And assigned IPs are not portable to other tservs.  The routing table hit for allowing that would be insane.

kasperd

Quote from: cuthalion on August 22, 2012, 07:05:39 PMI haven't changed anything on this tunnel in years and I recall picking the Chicago POP back in 2009 so maybe HE decided to shuffle end points around
Sounds unlikely.

Quote from: cuthalion on August 22, 2012, 07:05:39 PMWhat I am wondering is if there is someway to change the IPv4 server endpoint for my tunnel to something here in the US?  I  know that I can create a new tunnel but I want to keep my current IPv6 netblock so I don't have to re-address all the computers on my network.
The IP addresses are assigned to the tunnel servers in larger blocks covering several users. The IP addresses of individual users cannot be moved between tunnel servers.

Quote from: kcochran on August 22, 2012, 11:42:44 PMGoogle wouldn't really have any way to know what the IPv4 endpoint based on your IPv6 address
Actually, that is possible. But I don't think Google does it. Trying to look it up, does not always work. When you do manage to find an IPv4 address, it could be either that of the tunnel server or of the users tunnel endpoint, most of the time it is that of the tunnel server.

I looked up the IPv4 address of your tunnel, but I didn't want to post that in the forum, so I send it to you in a private message instead.

Quote from: kcochran on August 22, 2012, 11:42:44 PMunless of course they mapped out which prefixes are associated with which tserv.
That's more likely what they have done. That's always going to be a very inaccurate estimate of the user's location. For many users, it can never give even the correct country, since HE probably has users from more different countries, than the number of tunnel servers.

Quote from: kcochran on August 22, 2012, 11:42:44 PMAnd assigned IPs are not portable to other tservs.  The routing table hit for allowing that would be insane.
Yeah, that's not a practical solution. A more practical solution would be a "virtual" tunnel server, which is really an anycast pool. Have one IPv4 address, which is anycast to a pool of tunnel servers spread over the world, likewise the IPv6 addresses assigned to this "virtual" tunnel server are also anycast to the pool. Updates to the tunnel configuration should be automatically pushed to all servers in the pool.

I'm not sure if such a solution is worthwhile. But it would definitely be feasible to implement.