• Welcome to Hurricane Electric's IPv6 Tunnel Broker Forums.

ISP controlled NAT no public IPv4

Started by krattai, September 03, 2012, 09:55:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

krattai

I SO hate to post a n00b question like this, I'm sure the answer is somewhere that I just am not finding.

My ISP is not providing public IPs and I'm wondering if there's a way for me to bridge through a IPv4 pingable upstream router?

kasperd

Quote from: krattai on September 03, 2012, 09:55:37 PMMy ISP is not providing public IPs
There are ISPs doing that without providing native IPv6 at the same time? How about you send them my way, I have this bridge I'd like to sell to them ;-)

Quote from: krattai on September 03, 2012, 09:55:37 PMI'm wondering if there's a way for me to bridge through a IPv4 pingable upstream router?
I'm not entirely sure what you are asking, so I'll have to guess.

You are behind a CGN, and you want to know if you can still use the tunnelbroker.net service. Some NATs can handle 6in4 in their default configuration, some NATs cannot handle it at all. All you can really do is to try.

The service offered by HE has some unnecessary restrictions, that makes it less usable through a NAT. But even if HE was to remove those restrictions, it is not going to work if everybody using the same NAT all want to use a 6in4 tunnel.

There are other ways to run a tunnel, which are better suited to run through a NAT. But AFAIK HE does not support anything other than 6in4. I think sixxs.net is worth a try, if you can successfully navigate through the bureaucracy involved in registering for their service.

cholzhauer

What he said ^.

You can also look into GoGo6

krattai

Hi guys.  That's what I thought.

It's not uncommon here for MicroISPs (WISPs) to provide private only NAPT, many-to-one NAT, masquerading, or whatever one wants to call it, on IPv4 only.  Unfortunately, it's a condition of lack of upstream competition combined with cost prohibitive public pools.

I found a visible router on the WISP's upstream that I MIGHT be able to bridge through, although it's not owned or controllable by me, so...  well...  that's not really appropriate.  ;D  This is also not the place for me to go through the long story of why I don't consult with the WISP, although I DO want to be IPv6 certified...  *sigh*  Don't mind me, I'm just whining...   ::)  It's just annoying to be back in "this position" and knowing there's probably a way AND...  there's probably an opportunity if I can do so.

Anyhoo...  I'll look into TSP providers like freenet6 (gogo6) and SixXS.