• Welcome to Hurricane Electric's IPv6 Tunnel Broker Forums.

Anyway to enstablish a tunnel with a in-pingable endpoint?

Started by jilingshu, October 05, 2012, 09:04:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jilingshu

hi all,
I am pretty sure that my ISP allow the 6in4 traffic, but unfortunately, it blocked ICMP on their gateway.
I tried to ask them allow ICMP ping, but they denied my request.
However, is there anyway to establish a tunnel with my in-pingable IP address as endpoint? My IP address is nearly static... I said nearly because my ISP never promise that's a static IP address but I never saw it changed before...

Any advise or ideas are appreciated.

kasperd

You have a few options. One option is to choose an ISP that don't apply stupid packet filters for no reason. Alternatively you can choose a different tunnel provider without any requirement about responding to ICMP packets. Finally you can try to explain to either provider why their limitation is pointless and should be removed.

I cannot tell you which ISPs can deliver connectivity in your area. I can tell you which tunnel providers I know of. On my laptop I am using Netassist for exactly this reason, I do occasionally use my laptop in a place where 6in4 works, but ICMP packets are filtered (for no reason). But Netassist only have one POP. There is also SixXS, which AFAIK has a good tunnel service, if you can successfully navigate through their bureaucracy to get registered. I recently came across this list, which may be useful.

jilingshu

hi,
Thanks for your help. Their is no alternative ISP here... only one ISP available :-(
Netassist's POP has a great latency in my place...
SixxS rejected my application without send me any email and they also ignore my appeal...
Bad luck.

Anyway, no way for me to use he.net tunnel broker at this time?

cholzhauer

kasperd

Quote from: jilingshu on October 06, 2012, 10:45:20 AMTheir is no alternative ISP here... only one ISP available
Given what you told about them, I don't really think they deserve being called an ISP.

Quote from: jilingshu on October 06, 2012, 10:45:20 AMNetassist's POP has a great latency in my place...
I don't know where you are located. The list I linked to does mention the POPs of each provider.

Quote from: jilingshu on October 06, 2012, 10:45:20 AMSixxS rejected my application without send me any email and they also ignore my appeal...
That's exactly the reason for my reservation: "if you can successfully navigate through their bureaucracy to get registered."

If none of the providers on the list I mentioned will work for you, then you are running out of free options. If you are willing to pay, there are more options. You can rent a virtual server somewhere and set up your very own tunnel server. It might serve other purposes for you as well. You need to find a place where you can get a single IPv4 address and an IPv6 prefix, and you need a reasonable latency between your home and the hosting provider.

You can also try to contact HE to see if they can offer you a solution which will work for you and is cheaper than renting a virtual server. If all you need is the standard tunnel service without the requirement about responding to ICMPv4 packets, then it probably won't be very expensive.

If you want to find out if the ICMPv4 filter is the only problem, and 6in4 will work if only you can get around that limitation, then testing Netassist may be the way to go. Even if the latency is high, that won't stop you from testing it just to see if it works at all.

You can also try to get your own ISP to behave, you are after all a paying customer and in my opinion they are obliged to provide the service, you are paying for.

broquea

Could get a vps somewhere with ipv6 and make your own tunnel to that. Wouldn't need to pass an ICMP test.