• Welcome to Hurricane Electric's IPv6 Tunnel Broker Forums.

News:

Welcome to Hurricane Electric's Tunnelbroker.net forums!

Main Menu

Windows 7 SP1 / HE Tunnel / Firewall

Started by mstahl, March 06, 2013, 11:01:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mstahl

Hello, everyone. I've created an ipv6 tunnel and can ping and browse ipv6 enabled sites.
I was curious an ran an ipv6 port scan (http://ipv6.chappell-family.com/ipv6tcptest/) with my firewall disabled and i can't ping or rdp my v6 address.

If i create the tunnel on a ubuntu box all ports are exposed to the net. Is it possible v6 tunnels under windows are firewalled by default ?

cholzhauer

I think you're comparing apples and oranges here.  RDP is disabled by default on Windows, so unless you explicitly enable it, the firewall won't be involved because the service isn't running.

Also, the last I knew, ping was also separate from most firewall settings (this may have changed)

Is there any chance your Win7 station is behind a router or cable modem that's also doing firewalling?

mstahl

QuoteI think you're comparing apples and oranges here.  RDP is disabled by default on Windows, so unless you explicitly enable it, the firewall won't be involved because the service isn't running.
It's enabled.

QuoteIs there any chance your Win7 station is behind a router or cable modem that's also doing firewalling?
I'm behind a nat ipv4 router. However, i've just brought the tunnel up un my ubuntu box and et voila, ssh open and it replys to ping.

mstahl

I did some further testing today. I've set up a windows 8 vm, pasted the netsh commands and the rdp port was accessible immediately.
On my windows 7 machine however i was not able to expose the service to the net, without completely disabling the firewall.
Icmp6 needs to be opened explicitly on both windows 7 and 8.

I suspect microsoft has changed some stuff regarding fire walling ipv6 in windows 8. I will also try a fresh installation of windows 7 rtm sp1
to rule out possible misconfigurations on my production machine.

Can anyone test and confirm or deny this ?