• Welcome to Hurricane Electric's IPv6 Tunnel Broker Forums.

News:

Welcome to Hurricane Electric's Tunnelbroker.net forums!

Main Menu

whatismyipv6 says I don't have ipv6

Started by PracticalShutIn, July 12, 2013, 01:55:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kasperd

Quote from: PracticalShutIn on July 15, 2013, 08:06:17 AM"By using the Virtual DMZ port, a computer or device on the network is exposed to the Internet without protection from the firewall function of the Home Networking modem."  IIRC, it lets that computer bypass the router's firewall.
Not all devices have the same definition of what DMZ means. From that description it is not clear if it is doing something usable.

Quote from: PracticalShutIn on July 15, 2013, 08:06:17 AMI can't figure out what has changed since your last post.. I haven't changed anything in the router, firewall, disconnected or rebooted the PC.
Strange.

Quote from: PracticalShutIn on July 15, 2013, 08:06:17 AMIsn't it a good thing that there's 0% packet loss for both mtrs?
That doesn't really tell anything. Both ends at a specific router 1-2 hops away from your router. Notice how the trace to your IP ends with a hop with 100% packet loss, obviously the IP of that hop isn't shown in the output.

The two best options for finding out more are:

• Run a traceroute from your end towards the tunnel server using protocol 41 packets.
  • Look at the actual network traffic using a tool like Wireshark.

PracticalShutIn

Quote from: cholzhauer on July 15, 2013, 08:08:15 AMYou may want to grab something like wireshark and examine your traffic to see if you have protocol 41 packets hitting your computer.
My software firewall has a firewall log & packet log.  There's a system-wide rule which I guess I manually entered at some point in the past that allows all traffic using IP protocol 41.  My log shows items like this every 10 mins.
11:01:56 AM   N/A   OUT   PROTO41    184.105.253.14   *   *Allow IP for IPv6   360   0
10:52:08 AM   N/A   OUT   PROTO41    184.105.253.14   *   *Allow IP for IPv6   88   0

N/A = process, * = port, last 2 columns = bytes sent, received.
That IP belongs to HE.

One strange thing about my firewall is the Block IGMP rule.  Normally the lines that get blocked are red, but those aren't.  It is a default rule of the software, and is indeed set to block.  Probly not relevant *shrug*.

Other possibly relevant information:
There's an item in my Home Network IP Config screen that is unusual.  Here is a picture of the screen (I found the pic on another site but shows you what I'm looking at)
http://www.dslreports.com/r0/download/746882~7a55238e358a38a7841ee49c8c07d9da/domain.jpg
The Domain Name:  no-domain-set.bellcanada is what I'm talking about.
it shows up in my ipconfig as "DNS Suffix Search List. . . . . . : no-domain-set.bellcanada"

Also, in my tcp/ipv4 properties, I have it set to automatically receive an IP address, but in the Alternate Config, it is manually entered, with a preferred DNS server (OpenDNS).  It's not currently in use, but I figured it's good to tell you of anything non-standard.

Can't for the life of me figure out how to traceroute protocol 41.

kasperd

Quote from: PracticalShutIn on July 16, 2013, 09:19:31 AMMy log shows items like this every 10 mins.
11:01:56 AM   N/A   OUT   PROTO41    184.105.253.14   *   *Allow IP for IPv6   360   0
10:52:08 AM   N/A   OUT   PROTO41    184.105.253.14   *   *Allow IP for IPv6   88   0
If I understood you correctly, that means your Windows machine is sending protocol 41 packets to your router, and your router appears to be forwarding them. We don't know if they make it the rest of the way to the tunnel server.

Quote from: PracticalShutIn on July 16, 2013, 09:19:31 AMOne strange thing about my firewall is the Block IGMP rule.  Normally the lines that get blocked are red, but those aren't.  It is a default rule of the software, and is indeed set to block.  Probly not relevant *shrug*.
I agree that an IGMP related rule is probably not relevant. You can use the tunnel service without ever sending or receiving an IGMP packet.

Quote from: PracticalShutIn on July 16, 2013, 09:19:31 AMOther possibly relevant information:
There's an item in my Home Network IP Config screen that is unusual.  Here is a picture of the screen (I found the pic on another site but shows you what I'm looking at)
http://www.dslreports.com/r0/download/746882~7a55238e358a38a7841ee49c8c07d9da/domain.jpg
The Domain Name:  no-domain-set.bellcanada is what I'm talking about.
it shows up in my ipconfig as "DNS Suffix Search List. . . . . . : no-domain-set.bellcanada"
That does look a bit odd, but since the TLD is non-existent, that setting should be harmless.

Quote from: PracticalShutIn on July 16, 2013, 09:19:31 AMAlso, in my tcp/ipv4 properties, I have it set to automatically receive an IP address, but in the Alternate Config, it is manually entered, with a preferred DNS server (OpenDNS).  It's not currently in use, but I figured it's good to tell you of anything non-standard.
I recommend against using OpenDNS because they systematically hijack lookups of nonexistent domains, and have also been seen hijacking lookups of existing domains. You should use a more trustworthy DNS provider. HE and Google are both good options. Some ISPs also provide DNS servers, which can be trusted. But so far there does not seem to be any evidence suggesting your problem is DNS related.

Quote from: PracticalShutIn on July 16, 2013, 09:19:31 AMCan't for the life of me figure out how to traceroute protocol 41.
I have no idea how to do it on Windows. On one of the traceroute implementations for Linux you can use -P 41. I am expecting the output of such a traceroute to be telling us a lot about what your problem is, so it is worth looking more into.