• Welcome to Hurricane Electric's IPv6 Tunnel Broker Forums.

IPv6 Tunnel Proxy Server

Started by Tanner Ryan, July 25, 2013, 03:37:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tanner Ryan

I have a question for all of you! I have had a IPv6 tunnel set up on my laptop for a month now but I want to get IPv6 on my iPad. I was thinking by creating a local proxy server on my laptop (the one that has the IPv6 tunnel), but that did not work. How can I get IPv6 on my iPad?

Note: My modem/router is a Sagemcom F@st 2864 and it does not have the ability to set up tunnels that the whole network can use or a specific device can use.

kasperd

Quote from: Tanner Ryan on July 25, 2013, 03:37:38 PMI was thinking by creating a local proxy server on my laptop (the one that has the IPv6 tunnel)
That is not the approach I would recommend. There is a much better alternative. And if you already has a working tunnel on the laptop, you are already halfway done getting it on your entire LAN.

HE allocates a routed /64 for every tunnel. From what I read in your post, you are not using that /64 yet. That /64 is intended for use on your LAN. So the only two steps you need to perform now are as follows:

• Enable IPv6 routing on the laptop such that it can forward IPv6 packets between the LAN and the virtual tunnel interface.
  • Configure the laptop to advertise itself as a router on the LAN (for example using radvd).

Tanner Ryan

How would I forward the internet packets on a Windows 7 computer?

I am currently on a wireless network, I have working router laying around (WRK54G) and the Ethernet port on my computer is not in use.

I used Internet Connection Sharing which took the connection on my laptop, then routed it to the router. IPv4 worked perfectly on that (only dropped 1mbps) but I still had no connectivity to IPv6!  ???

Is there any other way???

P.S. (ONLY IF THERE IS NO OTHER WAY) I had an idea of an application like LogMeIn to stream my desktop to my iPad where I can remotely control my laptop and browse the internet via IPv6, BUT THE STREAM IS ON A WAN AND I DO NOT WANT MY INTERNET BILL TO SKYROCKET! IS THERE AN APPLICATION THAT IF I INSTALL A CLIENT ON MY LAPTOP AND AN APP ON MY iPad, IT WILL STREAM MY LAPTOP VIA A LAN CONNECTION?

kasperd

Quote from: Tanner Ryan on July 25, 2013, 07:47:52 PMHow would I forward the internet packets on a Windows 7 computer?
No idea. Maybe somebody in the Windows section of the forum knows.

Quote from: Tanner Ryan on July 25, 2013, 07:47:52 PMI used Internet Connection Sharing which took the connection on my laptop, then routed it to the router. IPv4 worked perfectly on that (only dropped 1mbps)
Are you by chance routing the connection multiple times over WiFi? That could hurt performance.

Tanner Ryan

Actually I tried the forwarding the packets through the other router and it wasn't to bad because my router that receives the connection straight from the ONT was set on channel 1 (I get speeds of 15mbps down 15mbps up Symmetrical) and when I routed it wirelessly to my laptop then through the ethernet cable to the other router on channel 6, I was getting speeds of 14mbps down and 11mbps up

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Diagram:

-----(Fiber Optic Line)-----(Optical Network Terminal)-----(Router)-)))     (((-(Laptop)-----(Router)-)))        (((-(IPV4 BUT NO IPV6 ) 

|                      |                                              |
                                                                         |                      |(15mbps down and up)               |
                                                                         |                                                                      (14mbps down, 11mbps up)

Cat5E Ethernet
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I AM STILL LOOKING FOR OTHER METHODS IF ANYONE HAS ANY IDEAS!!!