• Welcome to Hurricane Electric's IPv6 Tunnel Broker Forums.

News:

Welcome to Hurricane Electric's Tunnelbroker.net forums!

Main Menu

Dual IPv6 BGP Tunnel

Started by compuomari, November 24, 2013, 12:45:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

compuomari

Hi,
We have two different gateways routers connecting to the internet and we want to build two IPv6 tunnels on both of them to support redundancy. In order to do that, we need to announce our AS and IPv6 prefix through the two different tunnels created on the two routers with HE. So, do we need first to register with RIR for IPv6 prefix and AS or it can be provided by HE?

Please advise.

Thanks,
Abdullah

broquea

You have to supply your own ASN and IPv6 prefix for the BGP tunnels.

compuomari

thanks a lot. but can I create the tunnels with hurricane electric from different routers (same AS) connecting to two different ISPs. so, I will announce the same IPv6 prefixes from both routers for redundancy?

compuomari

please send me a configuration example if you have.

broquea

Quote from: compuomari on November 25, 2013, 06:58:12 AM
thanks a lot. but can I create the tunnels with hurricane electric from different routers (same AS) connecting to two different ISPs. so, I will announce the same IPv6 prefixes from both routers for redundancy?

Yes, as long as your IPv4 endpoints are unique.

Quoteplease send me a configuration example if you have.

You haven't even said what routing platform you use.

snarked

Note:  I read this as 4 tunnels in total.  As noted, each endpoint must have a unique IPv4 address.  Two separate routers means you have at least 2 unique IPv4 addresses.  For your plan to work, each router must have at least two publically routable IPv4 addresses.

Once that is established, your AS and IPv6 subnet should work in BGP - subject to HE having more than one BGP capable tunnel server.  Looks as if they currently have 6 such tunnel points available....

Note that I am not HE staff.

compuomari

You haven't even said what routing platform you use.

its Juniper J 6350

Once that is established, your AS and IPv6 subnet should work in BGP - subject to HE having more than one BGP capable tunnel server.  Looks as if they currently have 6 such tunnel points available....

why I need to create 6 tunnels why I have only two routers with two different IPv4 addresses? I assumed that only two tunnels are enough. could you please add more clarification?

snarked

There's 6 for you to choose 2 from.