• Welcome to Hurricane Electric's IPv6 Tunnel Broker Forums.

Does HE's IPv6 DNS Servers handle IPv4 resolution also?

Started by PatrickDickey, March 08, 2014, 01:34:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

PatrickDickey

Hi everyone,

My subject pretty much asks the question. I run a dual-stack network, and when I put in just the HE.net IPv6 DNS servers (along with a Google IPv6 DNS Server), I can't ping any IPv4 sites. But, when I add an IPv4 DNS Server back into the mix, I'm able to ping everything (both IPv4 and IPv6).

So if HE's DNS servers will handle both, I need to figure out what I'm doing wrong on my end.

Have a great day.:)
Patrick.

kasperd

Works for me$ dig +short -t a he.net @2001:470:20::2
Could you be running into a limitation of the ping command on the particular OS you are using?

cholzhauer

Do lookups work?  You say you can't ping, but you never say say if the lookup actually takes place

PatrickDickey

Quote from: kasperd on March 08, 2014, 04:09:17 AM
Works for me$ dig +short -t a he.net @2001:470:20::2
Could you be running into a limitation of the ping command on the particular OS you are using?

When I try this command on my ubuntu client, I get timed out no servers could be reached. So, I'm not sure if my IPv6 is even working right now. I know my tunnel is updated, as I have a script that does this (and it shows no update needed). I'm going to have to dig into this a lot deeper.

Have a great day.:)
Patrick.

P.S. As for not giving information on lookups, I was trying nslookup on my server, but it wasn't a valid command. I had totally forgotten about the dig command.  :-[