• Welcome to Hurricane Electric's IPv6 Tunnel Broker Forums.

Best thing to do with a server and a laptop?

Started by shepmaster, January 04, 2009, 02:01:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

shepmaster

Hey all, I just signed up for a tunnel, and (seemingly!) got it set up correctly on my gentoo server. I can do the basic stuff like ping6 or see the moving kame at www.kame.net.

My question has to do with my laptop. It runs OS X and wanders around with me. The big three places I truck it around to are:

1/ Work
2/ GFs house
3/ My house

I think what I would prefer, if possible, is for it to always have the same IP address (foo::3, hopefully). I could then add it to my DNS record as mobile.example.com or equivalent.

Is there any easy way to accomplish this? Maybe a better way?

Thanks!

kristiankrohn

I recommend using OpenVPN.

Just create a VPN between your server and laptop, enable IPv6 on the link (option tun-ipv6) and have a script started every time the link becomes active (option up) to set the v6 addresses and default route.
(I assume OpenVPN for OS X has the same capabilities as OpenVPN for Linux. Windows XP for example doesn't allow the use of tun devices.)

ericj

Quote from: kristiankrohn on January 04, 2009, 03:09:19 PM
I assume OpenVPN for OS X has the same capabilities as OpenVPN for Linux. Windows XP for example doesn't allow the use of tun devices.

Since version 1.5-beta8, OpenVPN can emulate a tun device on Windows through its tap driver. I am not sure if the emulated tun can do IPv6, though.

shepmaster

So, to make sure I have this right: I am going to create a IPv6 over IPv4 tunnel from my laptop to the server. The server *also* has a IPv6 over IPv4 tunnel (to HE).

Is there any benefit to doing this, or am I just asking silly questions? I guess I had hoped that I would be able to something that would make me go "wow" (disregarding the fact that I'm just playing :))

kristiankrohn

Your description regarding the use of multiple tunnels is correct.
The main benefit (compared to a dedicated brokered tunnel for the laptop) is that OpenVPN works well with dynamic IP addresses and behind a NAT device.

If you'd like to go "wow", you might want to look at Mobile IPv6 [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mobile_IPv6]. But I haven't heard of anyone using it as of yet.