• Welcome to Hurricane Electric's IPv6 Tunnel Broker Forums.

Problem with delegation of rdns for ip blocks

Started by skynetky, February 19, 2014, 05:54:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

skynetky

Hello,

I'm trying to delegate about 5 /29 ip blocks to the dns servers and all the blocks are giving the error

WARNING: This prefix has been tagged as UNDELEGATED and will be removed after 7
days. Please correct this issue.

The blocks have supposedly been delegated by the provider to the dns servers however I'm not 100% sure on how to verify this.

I have tried all the different delegation methods

Is there something I'm over looking

kasperd

Quote from: skynetky on February 19, 2014, 05:54:55 PMI'm trying to delegate about 5 /29 ip blocks to the dns servers and all the blocks are giving the error
Is that IPv4 or IPv6? Delegating IPv4 ranges longer than /24 is tricky.

kcochran

I don't know if I'd go so far as to say tricky, just 'different' due to the intervening CNAME element.

As it is, checking the zones on your account, I'm not actually seeing a delegation from the upstream.

dig -x IP.IP.IP.IP should at least return with the CNAME element for the delegation.  I'm just getting an NXDOMAIN, or PTRs for items that aren't in your zone files.

sdgathman

There could be "smart" delegation, where the ISP reads and caches the delegated IPs, but DNS clients never see a CNAME.  This would be more efficient than the traditional CNAME delegation for IPv4, but requires special DNS code (easy to do in something like powerdns).