• Welcome to Hurricane Electric's IPv6 Tunnel Broker Forums.

News:

Welcome to Hurricane Electric's Tunnelbroker.net forums!

Main Menu

Namecoin

Started by sdgathman, April 02, 2014, 08:57:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sdgathman

I am about to run namecoinToBind and (if less than 10000 records) upload the zone to the free DNS service, and keep it updated.  But what if lots of people did that?  I think dns.he.net only lets one customer serve a given domain.  So I set up a slave for .BIT, the next person to get the idea would get an error.  (Correct?)  I did upload gathman.bit with no problems.  Will dns.he.net even let me upload a (non-ICANN) TLD?  Does my having a gathman.bit domain loaded preclude loading a BIT TLD?

So the real question is, can dns.he.net simply mirror .BIT (the authoritative source is the namecoin block chain), and preclude the above? Or do we just wait for a user to try it?

sdgathman

Got Namecoin to bind working, and there are 28000 records and counting, so mirroring that on the free DNS is out. 

sdgathman

Sadly, he.net refuses to be a slave for gathman.bit - saying the zone is invalid.  Is there a technical or security reason why he.net cannot mirror non-ICANN zones?  In addition to the .BIT TLD for namecoin, there are TLDs from alternate roots (e.g. .GEEK for openNIC).