• Welcome to Hurricane Electric's IPv6 Tunnel Broker Forums.

Hurricane Electric no longer allows IRC traffic over tunnels even Sage cert?

Started by bryanstein, April 21, 2014, 12:53:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bryanstein

So I went through all the hassle of getting Sage just so I could connect to irc over my tunnels. Well I never got the access that was promised here at the bottom:

https://ipv6.he.net/certification/faq.php

I was told was that I couldn't use IRC and that it was a policy decision by the network engineers. I got a very vague answer and I also was told no phone support for free services.

I wouldn't have called if someone would have answered my ticket  :o

Can someone from HE confirm or deny that this is fact or if it's a per user decision?

If this is the case then please take down or update your FAQ as to not mislead us. I wonder why no one has actually responded back to my ticket still as of yet...it makes me question the information I was told.

r1ske

Here's the post about IRC filtering:
Quote from: kcochranDue to an increase in IRC abuse, new non-BGP tunnels now have IRC blocked by default.  If you are a Sage, you can re-enable IRC by visiting the tunnel details page for that specific tunnel and selecting the 'Unblock IRC' option under the Advanced tab.  Existing tunnels have not been filtered.

In the end it's up to HE's engineers. After all, this is a free service which HE is under no obligation to continue offering, and they don't promise that it'll work for your purposes. See the TOS.

It doesn't look like you've actually completed all the tests ("hassle") for Sage though, because you'd probably see the unblock option in your tunnel details page if you did:

rmosher

Quote from: bryanstein on April 21, 2014, 12:53:46 PM
So I went through all the hassle of getting Sage just so I could connect to irc over my tunnels. Well I never got the access that was promised here at the bottom:

https://ipv6.he.net/certification/faq.php

I was told was that I couldn't use IRC and that it was a policy decision by the network engineers. I got a very vague answer and I also was told no phone support for free services.

I wouldn't have called if someone would have answered my ticket  :o

Can someone from HE confirm or deny that this is fact or if it's a per user decision?

If this is the case then please take down or update your FAQ as to not mislead us. I wonder why no one has actually responded back to my ticket still as of yet...it makes me question the information I was told.

You have not been promised any service.  Free IRC shells is an avenue for abuse.  It's obvious you've already been impacted by this judging from the news posts on your site.  We are not under any obligation to provide you with service, and as such, choose to not grant you IRC access from tunnelbroker.  You may wish to familiarize yourself with our terms of service that you have agreed to at https://www.tunnelbroker.net/tos.php

I'm sure your users will have no trouble IRCing from your own address space, as every major IRC network supports IPv4.  If you have any legitimate trouble with your tunnels, we will be more than happy to assist.

Posted March 8th, 2011 by bryanstein

We have had some issues this past week that have caused me to suspend site registration and shell activation and possibly make the shell invite only. I will be auditing users, banning and locking users before we bring the shell back online.

Several new measures will be put in place in response to the latest developments.

This will dramatically decrease our user base but it'll also increase the quality and respect in our community.