DNS.HE.NET Topics > General Questions & Suggestions

Correct master setup for use with HE slaves

(1/1)

dmbaturin:
I've been setting up some zones lately and the transition to slave.dns.he.net confused me, so I spend all the day bugging support about the correct setup (thanks, guys!).
This is a summary:

* The server that pull zones is slave.dns.he.net now. You need to allow transfer to it.
* ns1.he.net will no longer be used to pull zones. It can be removed from the ACLs.
* The server you should send NOTIFY's to is ns1.he.net, not slave.dns.he.net. In BIND it can be achieved with "notify explicit;" in the zone config and "also-notify" statement in "options".
* ns1.he.net should not be in domain NS's because it's not anycasted.
Hope this saves someome some time.

snarked:
Note that when HE sent the message out, ns1 was still pulling zones and could not be removed (if one was expecting updates to propagate).  They should have picked a date that their instructions would be effective.

porjo:

--- Quote ---The server you should send NOTIFY's to is ns1.he.net, not slave.dns.he.net
--- End quote ---

Thankyou! I've just been scratching my head over why my zones were not updating and this was the reason. Is this documented anywhere on the HE website?

Andy370:
wow, i've been banging my head in to this wall...

i have two zones - both dns files are completely identical with the exception on zone name. one i can add as a secondary, and another i can't -

all i get is this:

Slave addition failed. Please make sure your listed nameservers allow AXFRs and that your zone does not exceed the max length of 40000 records

i'm absolutely confidentthe AXFR is allowed - i have allowed the AXFR to ANY server for this test purpose, and both of my zone has 2 records.

This is true treat or trick system.... You have to treat he dns service really well, or it will continue to trick you...

i spend a day already trying to figure out what the problem is, but this error message is completely stupid and non descriptive....

--A

Navigation

[0] Message Index

Go to full version