• Welcome to Hurricane Electric's IPv6 Tunnel Broker Forums.

Using DDNS to update Client IPv4 Tunnel Endpoint AND DynDNS

Started by pclemins, August 13, 2014, 10:28:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pclemins

My brain hurts from trying to figure this out, and I'm hoping someone has an idea I haven't thought of or tried.  I'd like to dynamically update my Client IPv4 Tunnel Endpoint address at tunnelbroker along with my DynDNS hostname (or another hostname) at the same time.  Here are my resources: I have an ASUS RT-AC68U that can update either DynDNS or tunnelbroker (but not both), and I also have a custom domain hosted at 1&1 that I'm happy to bring into the mix if that helps.  At DynDNS, I'm currently using one of their domains and I'd like to not transfer my primary DNS away from 1&1 for simplicity sake, but if I have to, I have to.  I tried transferring DNS responsibilities to dns.he.net, but as you might imagine, all of my email addresses and forwards that I setup in 1&1 stopped working, and so thus, I'd like to keep primary DNS responsibilities there.  I know I'm kinda being lazy not just setting up my full DNS at dns.he.net, but I'd rather not manage all that detail...

I guess what I'm asking is instead of me fumbling around with half-baked solutions, what's the most pain free way to:

1) Update my Client IPv4 Tunnel Endpoint dynamically, and
2) Have a hostname for that same endpoint that I can type into nslookup (or any IPv4 application) and have return that same dynamic IPv4 address so I can access my network... Does tunnelbroker have a built in hostname for the current client IPv4 tunnel endpoint for a given tunnel?  The tunnelname (i.e. <username>-1.tunnel.tserv4.nyc4.ipv6.he.net) looks up to the IPv6 Server address, not what I'm looking for...

Thanks in advance,
Pat

pclemins

You know, this always happens... answer my own question just after I post it...

https://www.dnsomatic.com/... Updates multiple DDNS services with one update to it's service.  Supports a bunch of different DDNS services including tunnelbroker and DynDNS... the ones I cared about.

Now, back to your regular programming ;)