• Welcome to Hurricane Electric's IPv6 Tunnel Broker Forums.

Getting 4 ipv6 global addresses

Started by dfrandin, November 19, 2014, 02:24:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dfrandin

I'm using an Asus router and the Tomato 1.28 firmware, which has ipv6 and tunnelbroker support. In the DNS section, I have "announce ipv6 on LAN" and my tunnelbroker configuration set in the ipv6 tab. My question is this: All of the systems on my network are either Debian or Ubuntu, and when I do an ipconfig on either one, I see FOUR separate global inet6 addresses, all with the first 4 "colon groups" (guess you really can't call them octets anymore).being the same as my assigned tunnelbroker /64 .. . and different remaining colon groups.. I also see one "Scope: Link" v6 address.. As I said, it works, and in fact, in several cases where I've posted on a forum where they show the posters ip address, it shows an ipv6 address vs an ipv4 on my post.. So I'd say this tells me the tunnel is working as designed.. I'm VERY new to ipv6, and seeing 4 diff v6 addresses on the same interface (eth0) is kinda puzzling... Why is that happening? enquiring minds would like to know...

Dave

cholzhauer

There are basically four ways you can get an IPv6 address:

1. Manually  (You assigned it by hand)
2. SLAAC/RA (Done by router advertisements)
3. DHCPv6 (You're running a DHCPv6 server and your client is asking for an address via DHCPv6)
4. Privacy Extensions are enabled (this normally tied to the second way, but I decided to break it out anyway)

dfrandin

Thanks for the reply.. I'm pretty sure I didn't assign any of them manually.. The router runs dnsmasq which I'm assuming does v6 address assigment like it does for v4.. Dunno what SLAAC is, but am somewhat clear on RA.. Prior to getting the current router that does v6 and tunnelbroker, I'd tried to set up a tunnel by enabling the "4to6" protocol in my old WRT54GL router and running radvd on one of my linux systems.. Never could get the tunnel working right... The only dhcp-ish thing I have running on the network is the dnsmasq on the router.. Why would it be dishing out 4 addresses?? Still don't understand that...

cholzhauer

You could have an address from every method I described above.  It's also possible that your previous attempt left some rogue IP addresses behind.  Post them and let's have a look

dfrandin

I'm posting the output from ifconfig... I just realized I'm also seeing a 5th global address but with it having a /128 suffix.. Zero idea what
THAT is..

inet6 addr: 2001:470:d:fa::798f:4069/128 Scope:Global
          inet6 addr: 2001:470:d:fa:594c:3703:8672:d864/64 Scope:Global
          inet6 addr: fe80::226:b9ff:fe77:708f/64 Scope:Link
          inet6 addr: 2001:470:d:fa:4112:a48d:c598:31b8/64 Scope:Global
          inet6 addr: 2001:470:d:fa:226:b9ff:fe77:708f/64 Scope:Global
          inet6 addr: 2001:470:d:fa:3177:732b:98c9:45a8/64 Scope:Global

My /64 block is 2001:470:d:fa::/64 and as far as I know I have no SLAAC or radvd on my network, just the router's dnsmasq. Just now I went and frantically checked
the system I'd previously had radvd running on, but it was not running, in fact, it wasn't even installed. I took it off when I couldnt get my original attempt getting the
tunnel to work..

Let me know if you need anything else..

Thanks

Dave

broquea

2001:470:d:fa:226:b9ff:fe77:708f/64 is a SLAAC address
link-local is link-local
rest might be privacy addresses
no idea what that /128 is

dfrandin

What would I be looking for re: the "privacy extensions" or SLACC.. As I said, I'm a babe_in_the_woods when it comes to
ipv6....

Thanks
Dave

cholzhauer

Privacy extensions:
https://home.regit.org/2011/04/ipv6-privacy/

As far as SLAAC, it's your router that's doing the advertising...I'd look on there

passport123

Quote from: dfrandin on November 19, 2014, 02:24:59 PM
.... I see FOUR separate global inet6 addresses, all with the first 4 "colon groups" (guess you really can't call them octets anymore).....

The was an RFC draft (http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-denog-v6ops-addresspartnaming-04) that recommended quibble (for quad nibble) or hextet.

:)

dfrandin

Quibbles... I like that! :) Sounds better than hextet.. Will check out the the links on SLAAC and privacy extensions...

Thanks
Dave

Edit: the link on privacy extensions turned on a little light in my brain. I now understand what they are and how I managed to get them...

Thanks again
Dave