• Welcome to Hurricane Electric's IPv6 Tunnel Broker Forums.

"Enable IRC Ports" setting missing

Started by EpicKittyXD, January 17, 2015, 08:28:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

EpicKittyXD

Hi there,

I've completed the IPv6 Tests to the level of Sage and even confirmed my address for the T-Shirt. I've made a tunnel via TunnelBroker for use with my server and configured it correctly. My problem is when i go into Advanced Settings on my IPv6 stack, the Enable IRC Ports setting is missing.

At first, i thought it had automatically been enabled as i have got the level of Sage, so i try using one of the IPv6 addresses to connect to an IRC network and it times out. I have tried emailing twice now with no response. Im only wanting to use this for my Private BNC system on a few IRC networks. As a BNC provider, I am very strict against using it to bypass bans or use for anything illegal.

All i ask is for a guide on finding this hidden setting or to have the ports opened for me.

The Username is the same as im using right now and i'd love this to be solved ASAP.

Thanks
EpicKitty

evantkh

EpicKittyXD

evantkh

I have no information about IRC, but there is a post about smtp blocking.
https://forums.he.net/index.php?topic=2782.0

My account is an old account and I found that I can unblock both IRC and SMTP in the tunnel settings. I don't know if this is the reason.

evantkh

broquea

Quotei'd love this to be solved ASAP.

If you've emailed them, did you get a ticket # autoresponder back? if not, your email was considered junk, and should try again from an email address of less ill repute.

evantkh

You may use 6to4 first if it is urgent and wait for the response.
6to4 reverse dns can be delegated on 6to4.nro.net.

EpicKittyXD

Quote from: broquea on January 17, 2015, 08:59:32 AM
Quotei'd love this to be solved ASAP.

If you've emailed them, did you get a ticket # autoresponder back? if not, your email was considered junk, and should try again from an email address of less ill repute.

I've got the ticket number but never got a reply

broquea

Politely bump the ticket, or consider native IPv6 hosting, as you are a service provider.

EpicKittyXD

Quote from: broquea on January 17, 2015, 10:39:10 AM
Politely bump the ticket, or consider native IPv6 hosting, as you are a service provider.

I was given a server to use so non of the funding to my service is my own. I'm not going to ask for another server that has IPv6 support as it would be too much.

All i want is the IRC ports opening as have been asked from numerous BNC users if they can change their Hostmask because they either want it more personal or don't like it.

broquea

Hey think of it this way, if they ain't paying for it, they're getting their money's worth! :D No skin off your back until the issue gets resolved.

If they are paying for it, then, uh....it might behoove you to do a little bit of CAPEX spending and secure them the services they pay for.

EpicKittyXD

Quote from: broquea on January 17, 2015, 02:03:24 PM
Hey think of it this way, if they ain't paying for it, they're getting their money's worth! :D No skin off your back until the issue gets resolved.

If they are paying for it, then, uh....it might behoove you to do a little bit of CAPEX spending and secure them the services they pay for.

Not quiet sure you understand. This service is paid for by the server's account holder (A friend) so asking them for a "better" server is kind of like saying "this free server you gave me isn't good enough". I was recommended he.net for my IPv6 support by multiple IRC users as they also use it for their BNC systems. I'm just a little frustrated how I've finished all that is required to unlock the IRC ports and they are still locked.

evantkh

If the server is used by a company, one of the solution is to apply for IPv6 addresses from RIR and register for a BGP tunnel.

https://forums.he.net/index.php?topic=2081.0

EpicKittyXD

Quote from: evantkh on January 19, 2015, 04:24:26 AM
If the server is used by a company, one of the solution is to apply for IPv6 addresses from RIR and register for a BGP tunnel.

https://forums.he.net/index.php?topic=2081.0

Wouldn't it just be easier to wait for HE.net to enable IRC Ports?

mattwilson9090

If I were a business (which I am, IT services for the SMB market) I would not want production IPv6 traffic using a tunnel for that traffic. Especially if I were selling services to clients that relied on that connection.

Your connection is subject to one more company keeping things working, and since tunnels are essentially transition and demonstration technologies I expect them to go away. Plus, your regular ISP can shut them down at any time by blocking the traffic. In HE's situation blocking Protocol 41 would be sufficient. In addition there are additional complexities related to setting up and maintaining a tunnel that are not present with native IPv6 that all to often break with things such as power outages or even IP address changes if you don't have a static IPv4 address.

Of course that depend on you being able to get native IPv6 connectivity from an ISP.

That said HE's tunnelbroker is great for a business that wants to experiment with and test IPv6 before rolling it out, and for home users that don't have some of the needs (including uptime and reliability) that a business has. I use it for that for myself and my business, but unless a client has an absolute requirement for IPv6 I won't roll out a tunnel for them, I'll just wait for native IPv6 and security tools that provide the same coverage as they do in IPv4.
Matt Wilson