• Welcome to Hurricane Electric's IPv6 Tunnel Broker Forums.

Unable to setup tunnel

Started by hjazz, February 07, 2009, 08:46:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hjazz

Hi,

I have problems setting up a tunnel using tunnelbroker.net.

I first tried using a PC at work. It runs on Windows XP and ipconfig shows it using a 192.XXX.XXX.XXX IP address. The form used to setup a new tunnel says "IPv4 endpoint (your side of the tunnel) (You are viewing from IP: 220.XXX.XXX.XXX):". I get the error "Your IPv4 endpoint is unreachable or unstable. Please make sure ICMP is not blocked." I thought this might be because the PC is behind a NAT or something, and so a tunnel could not be setup.

Then I tried using my home PC, also running on Windows XP. ipconfig shows it has an IP address of 121.7.47.XXX. The form used to setup a new tunnel says "IPv4 endpoint (your side of the tunnel) (You are viewing from IP: 220.255.7.XXX):". I also get the error "Your IPv4 endpoint is unreachable or unstable. Please make sure ICMP is not blocked."

Why are the ip addresses different and why can't I setup a tunnel?

Thank you.

broquea

Do you view websites through a proxy service? You can also try whatismyip.com and see what they report your IP as being, and try entering that. Regardless of what the IP is, you still need to make sure that we can ping it, otherwise a tunnel cannot be created for it.

hjazz

Both whatismyip.com and ipconfig shows my ip address as 116.15.XXX.XXX, and I am able to ping it. The page on tunnelbroker shows my ip address as 220.255.XXX.XXX, which I cannot ping. I've tried using both addresses to set up a tunnel, but I get the error message both times: Error: Your IPv4 endpoint is unreachable or unstable. Please make sure ICMP is not blocked.

broquea

post the full ip so we can make sure the server can reach it.

bobins

i am also getting the same message how can i solve this problem

piojan

Any more details?
You have a public ip - care to write it?
Any proxies?
NAT devices?
Firewall?
Other unusual stuff?

jedirock

Quote from: bobins on February 25, 2009, 06:01:54 AM
i am also getting the same message how can i solve this problem
Ditto here. I'm on a campus network, and I know for a fact that they block port 80 in, so I've had to run a webserver on another port for it to work. Windows Firewall (Windows 7 Beta) was blocking ICMP requests, but it has been set up to allow them now from anywhere. The settings have been verified from a second computer. However, I still don't seem to be getting the ICMP requests. My current IP is 134.117.164.248. The only networking device I have installed is a switch, but I don't know what the campus has set up. My local IP is my Internet IP however.

piojan

Quote from: jedirock on March 29, 2009, 02:52:26 PM
Windows Firewall (Windows 7 Beta) was blocking ICMP requests, but it has been set up to allow them now from anywhere. The settings have been verified from a second computer. However, I still don't seem to be getting the ICMP requests. My current IP is 134.117.164.248. The only networking device I have installed is a switch, but I don't know what the campus has set up. My local IP is my Internet IP however.

$ ping 134.117.164.248 -c 10
PING 134.117.164.248 (134.117.164.248) 56(84) bytes of data.

--- 134.117.164.248 ping statistics ---
10 packets transmitted, 0 received, 100% packet loss, time 9000ms

core1.fmt1.he.net> ping 134.117.164.248 numeric count 5
Sending 5, 16-byte ICMP Echo to 134.117.164.248, timeout 5000 msec, TTL 64
Type Control-c to abort
Request timed out.
Request timed out.
Request timed out.
Request timed out.
Request timed out.
No reply from remote host.
Entry cached for another 273 seconds.

You campus might be doing some more filtering.

jedirock

Quote from: piojan on March 29, 2009, 03:24:34 PMYou campus might be doing some more filtering.
That was my thought. Am I still able to get a tunnel without being able to be pinged?

piojan

Quote from: jedirock on March 29, 2009, 03:27:19 PM
Am I still able to get a tunnel without being able to be pinged?
Lets put it this way - I would be not so optimistic.

A good security approche is to block everything and only permit some legitimate traffic.
Probably your uni might also be blocking protocol 41.

So 134.117.164.248 is defenetly assign to your computer - that's not for example some uni proxy?
(ipconfig /all or ifconfig).
Also that may be NATed some how: http://whatismyipaddress.com/

You could also consider mailing you uni about ipv6 or unblocking icmp and protocol 41.
Howevere they might not be willing to change there policy.

Edit:
I personaly preffere HE but there are also other way of obtaining ipv6 connectivity (udp).

jedirock

Quote from: piojan on March 29, 2009, 04:20:21 PMSo 134.117.164.248 is defenetly assign to your computer - that's not for example some uni proxy?
(ipconfig /all or ifconfig).
Also that may be NATed some how: http://whatismyipaddress.com/
No, it is assigned to my computer. I have verified this numerous times before.
I was just looking at HE because someone else I know (not on campus) uses it and likes it. I'll take a look at some more IPv6 tunnels. Thanks for your feedback.