• Welcome to Hurricane Electric's IPv6 Tunnel Broker Forums.

Possible Routing Problem

Started by bimmerdriver, October 10, 2016, 12:01:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bimmerdriver

Quote from: cholzhauer on October 22, 2016, 08:49:50 AM
Works OK for me, where is your tunnel from?
Originally, LA. Now Seattle with the new tunnel.

bimmerdriver

The default MTU in my system is 1500. The MTU for the tunnel is 1480. I tried pinging the system with the tunnel using my other system which has native ipv6. I can ping the server end with -l 1452. I can ping the client end with -l 1432. I can ping the gateway with -l 1432. I also ran mtupath and it gave the same results. It is reasonable to conclude that these results imply this isn't an MTU issue?

I'm completely at a loss as to why I can't access mail.yahoo.com from the system with the tunnel unless I disable ipv6 either on the pc or on the router.

bimmerdriver

I was going to set up a tunnel from SixXS to prove or disprove that the problem is being caused by the HE tunnel or their interconnect with yahoo. SixXS is still providing tunnel service, but they are not accepting new registrations. I emailed their support and asked if they would make a temporary exception. The person who replied back lectured me that I should switch to another ISP if mine won't provide native ipv6. He was rude and obnoxious. I haven't experienced such unprofessional service in a long time. I have to say in all the years I've used HE, I've found the company to provide excellent support.

cholzhauer

bimmerdriver

Quote from: cholzhauer on October 26, 2016, 05:01:21 AM
Heh,  Jeroen is unique.
That's far more politeness than he deserves. I was thinking more like <self-censored>.

bimmerdriver

I posted about this on the pfsense forum. Two other people using he.net tunnels are also unable to access mail.yahoo.com, so it's definitely tunnel related. Whether that means there is a problem in he.net or whether yahoo is handling tunnel traffic differently from other traffic, it's not clear.

cholzhauer

Or it's a software issue.

Like I mentioned, I have no issues hitting it over an HE tunnel.

bimmerdriver

Quote from: cholzhauer on November 03, 2016, 06:17:53 PM
Or it's a software issue.

Like I mentioned, I have no issues hitting it over an HE tunnel.
If I wasn't using exactly the same software for months with no problem and I upgraded, then encountered the problem, I would agree. However, I didn't upgrade. The problem spontaneously occurred. Upgrading to the next version didn't cause the problem to go away. It's the same with the others who have reported this problem.

snarked

However, I DO have problems with yahoo's webmail and IPv6.  It works when I disable IPv6 and use IPv4, but that's not a viable solution.  I note that they do have an IPv6 address after one goes through a handful (currently 3) of CNAME aliases.

Seeing what is posted at other forums, it appears that their login API does not respond over IPv6.  Changing the MTU did not work as a solution.  I conclude that yahoo may not have an IPv6 listener but only IPv4 for that particular API and that's why it fails with IPv6.  This is not an HE problem.

This posting (https://forums.yahoo.net/t5/Password-and-sign-in/api-login-yahoo-com-not-working-from-IPv6-addresses-FOR-OVER-2/td-p/139061) has a "hosts" file solution that may or may not work for some configurations.  However, I agree that we shouldn't have to insert a hack for THEIR misconfiguration.