• Welcome to Hurricane Electric's IPv6 Tunnel Broker Forums.

OK to keep using Tunnel Broker even though I have native IPv6 now from Comcast?

Started by mikerichardson, November 07, 2016, 04:35:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mikerichardson

My whole home network is numbered with static IPv6 addresses, assigned out of my TunnelBroker provided /64. Your service is fantastic - my current/former ISP (the landlord) only provided static IPv4 RFC 1918 addresses, and somehow your service worked 100% reliably with this type of arrangement. (the IPv4 that we shared was predictable and static, so I'm sure this helped).

The landlord provided a fantastic ISP for $40/mo - shared, but symmetric 100 Mbps fiber. Unfortunately, they are shutting this great service down, and I am now a (pseudo-involuntarily) customer of Comcast, with their horribly asymmetric 150/10 service.

I don't really feel like changing any of IPv6 address numbering any time soon. There's a possibility that in two months, I will be moving to another apartment, with an unknown new ISP with unknown IPv6 support.

So far, everything seems to be working fine, with a public Comcast IPv4, and using my existing HE IPv6 addresses. End to end seems to be working fine.

I know that a tunnel broker is a bit less than ideal compared to native IPv6 but I don't want to have to renumber unless I have to. I wanted to just ask and make sure that this is: A. supported, and B. allowed (given that the ISP has native IPv6).

snarked

I don't see a problem.  I park one of my tunnels at my co-located server which now has native IPv6, just in case there are problems with the native service.

mikerichardson

I can report that this worked just fine, except that having an IPv6 address from Hurricane Electric confused the Comcast/XFINITY TV website, causing it to think I was outside of my home even when I wasn't. (Little do they know, I can VPN in from anywhere and watch all the "at home only" programming...)

So I went ahead and renumbered everything. Looks like you basically get a static IP address as long as your modem isn't off for more than ~24 hours and is connected to the same router (MAC address more accurately).

I have a side question though, it's acceptable to use the tunnel with a server? I have a co-located server here in Houston but they are not offering any IPv6 right now. The tunnel seems like a good way to dip my toe into the server side of IPv6.

mikerichardson

Interestingly, my Comcast IPv4 address has changed since I last posted in this thread. But, the IPv6 prefix remains the same. Confirmed via my IP address that was stored on the previous post.

Even more interestingly, I didn't lose my v4 address during the "big huge ass outage in west Houston" a few weeks ago (8+ hours loss of all two way service, but at least my old one way TiVo worked...), but instead during a quick modem reboot.

I think I can reinstate my old numbering but just change that prefix part. Those auto-config addresses are annoying and would seem to be a form of "security through obscurity".

mikerichardson

This post made using static IPv6.

EDIT: Well, crap. That post was actually made with IPv4. Happy Eyeballs maybe.

http://checkipv6.dyndns.com works and shows me the address I picked for myself using the IPv6 prefix that I am assuming is static.