• Welcome to Hurricane Electric's IPv6 Tunnel Broker Forums.

POP tserv1.ber1.he.net down?

Started by McRip, February 21, 2017, 05:34:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

McRip

Hello,

I've been using this pop server for a very long time now. But it seems that the IPv4 216.66.86.114 of this pop can not be pinged anymore. The result is many services depending on IPv6 can not be used anymore.

Due to this issue even my complete homenetwork was down because it was completly IPv6.

I have sent an email to he.net but did not get any answer yet.

The pop server is down since yesterday.

DNS does not work anymore because many servers fetch zonefiles over IPv6 only.

Location is Germany. Even from outside this server can not be pinged: http://centralops.net/co/
Select ping and type the IPv4 216.66.86.114.

Hopefully I will get an answer here quickly.

Thank you very much in advance

cholzhauer

McRip

mafische

I've noticed that I cannot reach "my" tunnel endpoint in Berlin (the same IP 216.66.86.114) either since yesterday (from the DTAG-Network and from the Vodafone network).
Maybe it's a routing issue, since henet claims the enpoint is up? The traceroute ends already in Berlin (10ge3-2.core1.ber1.he.net) :-)

McRip

I do not think so. Because it can not be pinged from the U.S. either.

Centralops for example tried to ping it but failed. This server is located in the U.S.

This issue is an he.net issue.

McRip

I did a traceroute and after 10ge1-3.core1.ber1.he.net [184.105.80.114] everything times out.

1    <1 ms    <1 ms    <1 ms  fritz.box [192.168.178.1]
  2     7 ms     7 ms     6 ms  62.155.241.101
  3    11 ms    11 ms    11 ms  hh-ea8-i.hh.de.net.dtag.de [62.154.32.218]
  4     9 ms     9 ms     9 ms  80.150.168.162
  5     9 ms     9 ms     9 ms  hbg-bb4-link.telia.net [213.155.135.88]
  6    17 ms    17 ms    17 ms  ffm-bb4-link.telia.net [80.91.245.121]
  7    17 ms    17 ms    17 ms  ffm-b2-link.telia.net [80.91.246.225]
  8    27 ms    24 ms    24 ms  hurricane-ic-129711-ffm-b2.c.telia.net [213.248.92.34]
  9    43 ms    33 ms    41 ms  10ge2-1.core1.muc1.he.net [184.105.80.22]
10    69 ms    42 ms    47 ms  10ge1-3.core1.ber1.he.net [184.105.80.114]
11     *        *        *     Request timed out.
12     *        *        *     Request timed out.
13     *        *        *     Request timed out.
14     *        *        *     Request timed out.
15     *        *        *     Request timed out.
16     *        *        *     Request timed out.
17     *        *        *     Request timed out.

doktornotor

Prague has been down (as in unusable) since Feb 20 14:30 CET as well.  >:(

tjeske

Exactly the same time for Berlin. My log says there was some package loss an hour before already, but it totally broke down at 14:30. What a coincidence? Maybe a failed update? And then, why nothing else in the vicinity (like Warsaw)?

I opened a ticket. I guess they're aware of it now and will do what they can.

What I find weird is that the status page shows all tunnel servers as up and running.

@McRip: I feel your discomfort, but you're using a free product with great support so far, and all at no cost (cause it's free!). HE has no obligation to offer anything to you at all. If they decide now to take the Berlin and Prague servers offline for good, it's well within their right (I hope they won't, though! Please don't!!!). So just sit back and wait.

doktornotor

As a side note, I have another tunnel under the same account on Budapest POP and that's working fine.

McRip

We have no choice but to wait and see. But I also get in trouble with some customers because the IPv6 services do not work anymore...

To change the tunnel would take a week ore more. That would be too much work...

Let's wait. Nevertheless I would like to read something from the officials here in the forum.

tjeske

Well, then you shouldn't offer commercial services over a free service that has no obligations?! That's quite the risk you are taking and your customers are right to complain. (sorry for being so blunt, it's just what I think)

Why don't you get a paid service that has a liability towards you as well?

I'm not sure we'll hear here from the official side. But I'm pretty sure they'll reply by email by tomorrow. Work day has just started on the other side of the Atlantic.

doktornotor

Quote from: tjeske on February 21, 2017, 08:28:52 AM
Well, then you shouldn't offer commercial services over a free service that has no obligations?! That's quite the risk you are taking and your customers are right to complain. (sorry for being so blunt, it's just what I think)

Was not exactly a fair point either.

- If these people has a choice -- as in, their ISP providing a (usable) IPv6 connectivity -- they wouldn't be complaining here in the first place.
- I'm pretty sure some people would be very happy to pay for the tunnel service to get some sort of SLA, but there's just no such paid service being offered by HE.

broquea

We are currently waiting on a remote hands request to complete at the facility to restore the tunnel server(s). No ETA as of yet, but we are aware of the issue.

McRip

No argueing, please.

I am just requesting a solution or a timeframe if and when this issue will be resolved.

And yes, not all ISP's have a native IPV6 connectivity that's why tunnels have to serve as it.

To me it is confusing that the status page shows something different than users figure out. That's a problem.

McRip

They are working on it. Just received an email:

We are currently waiting on a remote hands request to complete at the facility to restore the tunnel server(s). No ETA as of yet, but we are aware of the issue.

So let's wait and see. Status page also changed.

Cheers