• Welcome to Hurricane Electric's IPv6 Tunnel Broker Forums.

Using TunnelBroker for several routers

Started by bakaekze, February 22, 2017, 04:07:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bakaekze

I have a local network with 2 asus routers (rt-ac66u, wl500gp), 1 d-link router (with custom asus-like firmware dir-320) and 1 tp-link repeater/wifi range extender (that unfortunately doesn't support ipv6). IPv6 seems to work fine when I enable it only on a main router, but if I enable it on other routers it sometimes doesn't work from them.

Tested it by connecting to those routers via SSH and doing ping6 to various sites. I'm guessing it is because I'm supposed to select something else in other routers' IPv6 settings instead of 6in4 tunnel. The available options for them are: Static IPv6, Automatic IPv6, Tunnel 6in4, Tunnel 6to4, Tunnel 6rd. Which should I choose?

I have tried searching for configuring a network with more than 1 router, but only get articles about how to configure IPv6 for 1 router, but that already works and doesn't help me. I want to all my routers to be able to utilize IPv6, if that is possible. All other devices, even those connecting via different router seem to be able to access IPv6 network anyway, no matter if IPv6 is enabled on secondary router or not.

Just to clarify, I only have 1 IPv4 address and it is static.

tjeske

Does every router span its own subnet? Then you would need to configure prefix delegation and setting up the correct routes on each device. Much easier than running those router cascades is to run them in one single subnet, only the first unit working as a router, and the others working in switch mode.

Care to share your setup?

cholzhauer

Yep, what he said ^

One router runs the tunnel, the others get an address from that one via RA or by you manually configuring them

bakaekze

For IPv4 network, everything is inside one subnet 192.168.1.0, so only main router is working in router mode, while others are working in access point mode.

tjeske

Ok, AP mode is the way to go. But how do you connect to the HE tunnel? Which device does this and how?

bakaekze

On main router I have just selected Tunnel 6in4 and it worked out of the box.
Like this: https://nyazo.jp/hCtyd4.png

cholzhauer

You need to fill out the "IPv6 LAN Setting" box for your router to do RA for the rest of your network.

tjeske

Which should be as follows:
LAN Prefix Length: 64 (if you didn't apply for 48 prefix)
LAN IPv6 Prefix: 2001:470:28:15c:: (check in your account settings whether the "28"-part is actually correct).

IPv6 settings of your access points shouldn't need any configurations. Just make sure that the LAN-device on those other units has IPv6 turned on (or not disabled). Also, your tp-link repeater might still pass the IPv6-RA to other devices, even if it doesn't assign itself an IPv6 (I'm using a TP-Link WR841ND unit as AP in my network, and even though it's a pre-IPv6 version, it passes the RA requests to all clients, as it happens at a different level of the OSI layers).

cholzhauer

FWIW, even if you had a /48, you'd have to use a /64 for RA as that's what it expects; entering /48 there would break it.

bakaekze

Thanks for your help. Set other routers/AP to automatic ipv6 mode and it seems to work perfectly.   ;D