• Welcome to Hurricane Electric's IPv6 Tunnel Broker Forums.

I give up "There is no driver selected for the device information set or element

Started by Hoser13, December 06, 2017, 04:15:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hoser13

Idx     Met         MTU          State                Name
---  ----------  ----------  ------------  ---------------------------
  1          75  4294967295  connected     Loopback Pseudo-Interface 1
10          30        1500  connected     Wi-Fi
11          25        1500  disconnected  Local Area Connection* 1
  6          25        1280  connected     IP6Tunnel

cholzhauer

You've told me your tunnel works, so I'm not sure what I would be looking for.

We need details, without them, we can't help.

Hoser13

I just know that none of the IPv6 tests show that I have 6 capability.  What details can I provide?

cholzhauer

Well, that's more than I knew before

Can you ping an ipv6 site and get a reply?  If not, your tunnel isn't up

Make sure your isp isn't blocking protocol41, make sure your router isn't blocking it, and make sure that if you have an rfc1918 address that you followed the instructions and altered the commands you used to create the tunnel

Hoser13

Changes made:

- Changed router to an AP (as I have the ISP router as well, where I turned off at least the 2G wireless.

- Added a DMZ for my new laptop address from the main router.  I no longer need (or can) change most settings on the AP as they are no longer relevant.  As a result, I get 20/20 on http://ipv6-test.com/, I am recognized as IPv6 on the NE site, and I can get a response from a ping -6 on google.

I thank you for you patience and assistance.  You have been awesome with your guidance.

tjeske

Apparently, Windows Spring Creators Update aka Redstone 4 aka 1803 breaks IPv6-tunneling. Even in the final build. Let's hope 1804 will fix it. I'll sit it out for now, as I have no time to do a full reinstall (and I deleted the rollback version already).

Hoser13

No more fixes.  It will no longer be developed:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/deployment/planning/windows-10-1803-removed-features

6to4 has been disabled by default since Windows 10, version 1607 (the Anniversary Update), ISATAP has been disabled by default since Windows 10, version 1703 (the Creators Update), and Direct Tunnels has always been disabled by default. Please use native IPv6 support instead.

snarked

This only proves how CLUELESS Microsoft is about the Internet.  Although there are plenty of places using IPv6, there are far more places that have not deployed anything IPv6.  In fact, my co-location facility only has 2 IPv6 enabled clients (including me) out of about 1000, and neither of my home ISPs (at 2 locations) have IPv6 (whether native or 6RD).  Most people even think IPv6 is "new" as of 2012, but I've been using it in one form or another (starting with 6to4) since 2003.  These mechanisms shouldn't have been removed because they're still needed.  As for those off by default, at least they're still available.

tjeske

Quote from: snarked on May 24, 2018, 09:52:29 PM
As for those off by default, at least they're still available.

Except for "Direct Tunnels", which appears to be 6in4. I think what they mean by that this isn't enabled by default is that there is no server from Microsoft acting as tunnel endpoint to serve IPv6 addresses. However, activating this manually with HE as endpoint isn't working anymore, obviously.

Still hoping for a fix. Can't believe how oblivious Microsoft is ditching IPv6 transition technologies in general. Those technologies will still be needed for at least another 5 years, probably though more like 10 years. And demanding for users to use native IPv6, well, you can't really chose your service provider in many places of the world...

kriteknetworks

snarked

Not always.  I still find most business software is Microsoft Windows-centric.

kriteknetworks

sure, but HE tunnels arent business software. nor has the OP even made mention of business/enterprise tunnel use.

tjeske

Also, insider builds are not really suited for business use.

However, the user could even use his own tunnel setup, not using HE, and that setup would've stopped working as well.