• Welcome to Hurricane Electric's IPv6 Tunnel Broker Forums.

Support for other dns servers?

Started by dlearfcn, May 13, 2019, 09:51:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dlearfcn

Hello everyone,
I don't know what I can do. If my DNS Servers are not set to he dns servers or my own dns server, I'am not able to access my domains. If I try to open up my website in Chrome, I get "DNS_PROBE_FINISHED_NXDOMAIN" error. Does he support other DNS Servers or can I configure dnsmasq so that I don't have to use he dns servers? Is it possible to make dnsmasq communicate with other dns servers, like google dns? I hope someone can help me soon.
dlearfcn

tjeske

Google should return AAAA records as well.

Did you delegate your domain's NS to HE?

dlearfcn

Hello again,
I registered the domain on the HE webpage and it's delegated to my own DNS Server. So what to do to copy it to the root DNS Servers? With delegation to HE's Servers i couldn't resolve my domain through other DNS Servers. Now it can be resolved using my own or HE's DNS.
Thanks for your reply
DLEARFCN

snarked

You don't copy a domain to the root servers.

I think your first issue is to learn how the domain name system works.
Did you register your domain with a domain registrar, or just make one up?

tjeske

Which registrar did you use to get your domain? On their page you should be able to set the nameservers. These should be delegated to HE's nameservers. Then, it can take a couple of hours until this change is propagated.

martin762green

I have my NS with my domain Registrar but would like to add additional NS for redundancy. Would I be able to add HE NS?
The topic so far implies all with original provider or all delegated to HE. Apologies if I am misunderstanding.
Thank you

snarked

Martin762green:  You might be.  That will depend on whether your registrar's servers allow zone transfers.  Many do not.

tjeske

Well, if everything is setup correctly with your registrar, also HE's DNS servers should be able to resolve your domains. But again, this might take a couple of hours to take effect.