• Welcome to Hurricane Electric's IPv6 Tunnel Broker Forums.

DDNS Problem, always return good 127.0.0.1

Started by nov30th, November 19, 2013, 07:46:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

nov30th

Is the server problem or something changed? I put a script in my RouterOS that once ADSL IP address changed, the script will run once and update the IPv4 address of my tunnel.

I'm not sure when the DDNS doesn't work, and I tried visit the page on my web browser (http://ipv4.tunnelbroker.net/nic/update\?username=$heuser&password=$hepass&hostname=$hetunnelid), it gives me "good 127.0.0.1". But usually the last IP address is mine which I updated.

Is the server side problem or something changed?

kcochran

The Dyn API describes that reply thusly:
Quotegood 127.0.0.1    

This answer indicates good update only when 127.0.0.1 address is requested by update. In all other cases it warns user that request was ignored because of agent that does not follow our specifications.

That can get returned for a number of reasons:

• Invalid IP address (256.x.x.x, for example)
  • Bad IP format (127.0.0.1-2, for example)
  • Unpingable IP address
  • An IPv6 address instead of an IPv4 address

While it would be nice to be able to report the specifics when the request is made, the API doesn't have the flexibility for more verbose errors.

nov30th

I haven't add the "myip=" so it could be "Unpingable IP address".

But the DDNS works with "Unpingable IP address" before, it seems the API has add the new function of ping IP address.

kcochran

Only real change to /nic/update of any note was in June of 2012, to support chaining updates to dns.he.net.  It's been a very stable piece of code.  Only a handful of very minor edits since initial commit.

eladts

Please consider removing the ping test. Many of us are behind firewalls that block ping, but allow 6in4 tunnels just fine. The ping test prevents us from using HE tunnels and forces us to use other tunnel providers.

evantkh

Quote from: eladts on May 12, 2015, 11:38:10 AM
Please consider removing the ping test. Many of us are behind firewalls that block ping, but allow 6in4 tunnels just fine. The ping test prevents us from using HE tunnels and forces us to use other tunnel providers.

Same in some ISPs in Hong Kong. ISPs block incoming ping.

boab

Thank you all for this thread.
I was getting refused "good 127.0.0.1" until I enabled external ping responces.
Can now progress with my isp failure auto-recovery