• Welcome to Hurricane Electric's IPv6 Tunnel Broker Forums.

6-to-4 gateways

Started by dviscorg, February 17, 2008, 07:39:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dviscorg

Is HE operating any 4-to-6 gateways?

Is it worth describing how to run a 6-to-4 in addition to the tunnel end point?
Dumping traffic destined to 6-to-4 addresses onto IPv4 as soon as possible should help reduce round trip times for this traffic.

Anyway this is how I do it for FreeBSD from /etc/dhclient-exit-hooks.
Note this deprecated the 6-to-4 address.  It's only purpose is to dump
6-to-4 traffic back to IPv4 as soon as possible.

#
   #    Configure 6 to 4 relay
   #
   octets=`echo $new_ip_address | sed 's/\./ /g'`
   ifconfig stf0 inet6 2002:`printf %02x%02x:%02x%02x $octets`:ffff::1 \
        prefixlen 16 alias deprecated link0
   route add -inet6 2002:: -prefixlen 16 ::1
   route change -inet6 2002:: -prefixlen 16 ::1 -ifp stf0

Mark

samh

Thanks for the message Mark.  We have a 6-to-4 router in the works however the number of requests for this can be counted on one hand so its not super high on the priority list.

If there is alot of demand I can move it up the priority list, we will have to see.

Thanks for the command snippets.

Sam

amph

actually, I'm in need of exactly that. Currently my isp has two bad routers in my state that anything that gets routed through them, they end up being the last hop (they drop everything), so about 5-10% of my ipv4 space is not routable (this includes any cnn.com ip and quite a few others).

Tech support acknowledges that their router's first hop (my second) to the same cnn.com ip takes a different path, they simply won't type in a few commands to switch me over to the good path or to fix the sprintlink router that won't route me. There is nothing I can do. A 6to4 gateway would fix my routing.

Currecntly i've got my squid server on solaris/ultrasparc routing all port 80 through a remote cache, so this fixes the port 80 routing, though it would be nice to fix it for good at the router..

amph

snarked

I would be in favor of a closer 6-to-4 gateway.  Here in Los Angeles, it seems that the closest gateway by network topography (i.e. fewest hops) is in Amsterdam!  Micro$oft suposedly operates one (presumedly in Washington State) and there are others in the U.S., but nothing closer by routing.

The last part of my traceroute to it reveals which gate I'm routed to:
15  ge-0.2.0.core1.ams.bb.your.org (204.9.53.58)  158.056 ms  157.265 ms  156.991 ms
16  192.88.99.1 (192.88.99.1)  157.722 ms  157.730 ms  158.057 ms

16 hops to get there!  Ack!  BTW, "your.org" is a European tunnel broker (contracted with "sixxs.org").

I don't know which gateways people are using to get to me, but I do see about 2-3 2002::/16 visitors per day in my web server logs.  (Many haven't registered their reverse DNS zones at https://6to4.nro.net/ either.)