• Welcome to Hurricane Electric's IPv6 Tunnel Broker Forums.

News:

Welcome to Hurricane Electric's Tunnelbroker.net forums!

Main Menu

Bad GEO IP Data?

Started by MRizkBV, August 06, 2022, 03:46:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MRizkBV

Two of my tunnels are suddenly showing up as Cairo, Egypt on Google and many other Geo IP databases. I have had those tunnels setup for a long time and this is the first time it happens. Tunnel is connected to VA (US).

snarked

GeoIP data belong to third parties; not HE's problem, nor can HE do anything about it.

tjeske

@MRiukBV
Visit the different GeoIP services on the net and use their contact form to submit corrected geolocation information for your prefixes. Usually they will correct it with the next database update.

Gorlenah

Quote from: tjeske on August 12, 2022, 04:58:20 AM
@MRiukBV
submit corrected geolocation information for your prefixes

I did this but some services advised me to add the geofeed field https://ipregistry.co/blog/geofeeds , in the whois provided to ARIN, is this possible with Hurrican Electric?

Although the rwhois data are correct, they seem not to read them, only some service like Ip2location updated correctly

Thanks

snarked

I forgot about that (and RFC 8805) even though I have such a file on my web server.
Wasn't a draft version of that RFC saying that the URL pathname should be "/geoip.csv" instead of "/geofeed.csv" (or the Google specific "/google.csv")?  However, I have never seen it fetched!  It also seems to me that since this is an HTTP(S) function, "/robots.txt" would have been a suitable place for the URL of the data, not the domain registry (cf. RFC 9092).

Regardless, the DNS RRType LOC might also help, at least for those services that can take longitude and latitude coordinates and figure out to what country and locality the information maps.

Gorlenah

Quote from: snarked on November 03, 2022, 12:58:21 AM
the URL pathname should be "/geoip.csv" instead of "/geofeed.csv" (or the Google specific "/google.csv")?

I don't know all this is new to me, some GeoIP services told me about a geofeed.csv file, the problem is that I don't even have a website with a domain, so I think the only way for me is the one already done, to contact each service and wait