• Welcome to Hurricane Electric's IPv6 Tunnel Broker Forums.

You have already created the maximum number of tunnels allowed to your account f

Started by herra, May 26, 2009, 02:57:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

herra

What's all this about?

You have already created the maximum number of tunnels allowed to your account for the day. Please try again later.

Unannounced or what?

I haven't used all my tunnels. I thought I had 4. I have been problems so I deleted the ONE tunnel I had used all that day. So now I have ZERO tunnels.

So I want to create a new tunnel. And I get the above message.

What's going on?

Thanks

kcochran

We had to stick in a system limit as a few bad apples are causing problems by being jerks on their tunnel, getting it attacked, and moving onto another one, doing the same thing, ad nauseum.  This makes it so they're much more limited in their jerkiness.  Unfortunately, it also impacts the regular users.

Normal users can have up to four tunnels per account, but can only make one per day.  There are some ideas we're tossing around internally to bump this limitation up for tunnel users in good standing.

snarked

OK, but I think he's complaining about having 4 tunnels, deleting 1, and ending up with zero, not 3.

broquea

No, he had 1 tunnel, then deleted it, then made another, then deleted it, then made another, then deleted it, then made another, then deleted it (we log this). Just so happened that his last one he created and deleted all on the same day.

If you are having so much trouble getting the tunnel to work, constantly creating and deleting it doesn't really fix it. Make a tunnel, and if you have problems, seek help either on the forums from your peers, or email us directly at ipv6@he.net to open a trouble ticket.

redvw

Hmmm ... I have this problem, too. I created ONE tunnel earlier today. Immediately afterwards, I saw the message about "already created the maximum number allowed". Well, I only needed one, so that was fine. After some testing, however, I concluded that, although things worked, I would get better connectivity through a different server. And, apparently, the only way to switch servers is to create a new tunnel. So I deleted my single ONE tunnel, and whoops, now I have ZERO, can't get a new one, and am without connectivity. This is what I think the OP was complaining about. Look, this IS a pain, especially during initial setup. And it differs from the explanation given by the admin here: I did NOT "constantly" try to create/delete/create - I only wanted to make one single change (of server), perfectly reasonable and harmless. It would help if this was explained somewhere easily visible - had I known about this, I would have waited with deleting. Maybe you can modify the policy somehow to accommodate initial experimenting, for example: initial allowance of 4 tunnels during any period, then one per day.

sstraw

I concur with redvw - I just ran into the same issue - wanted to change the tunnel host I was connected to, and couldn't see how to do it from within the tunnel stats, and couldn't create a different tunnel to use - so I deleted the first one, figuring THEN I'd have the one available slot to use.  No dice, I'm dead in the water.  of course, that means I need to just shut down and wait another 24 hours and try again to see if I'll have better luck.

The problem I was having may resolve itself by tomorrow, so I'll have no idea if the problem was on my end, or if the configuration changes effect an improvement.

blackiceau

This is very difficult to deal with - especially when changing IP -

A request capability to fix this would be good - and would let you keep out trouble makers.

David

dataless

I ran in to the problem because I wanted to be able to setup not only a tunnel for my home office network, but I also wanted one for my servers that are at a different location.

It made testing a lot easier when I had both a source tunnel and a destination tunnel for testing.

I do understand the limit, my only request would be to change all of the timers to reset at midnight or something.  I made the first tunnel at like 7pm or something, so I had to wait till after 7pm the next day to make another one.  I think a basic after xx:xx time reset would be better than exactly 24 hours from the last request.  Would still limit you to one request per day.

I can see where many people would run in to issues with changing from one end point to another though.  Maybe a big notice telling them to ping/traceroute each server BEFORE requesting a tunnel would be good.

Or maybe set it up to automatically ping the IP they want to use and suggesting the tunnel with the lowest latency before actually creating it or something.

broquea

Quote from: dataless on July 07, 2009, 06:57:06 AM
Or maybe set it up to automatically ping the IP they want to use and suggesting the tunnel with the lowest latency before actually creating it or something.

This is actually about to be implemented this week, although in a different manner.

artlover

I created 1 tunnel. Had to do something else unexpected real quick. Came back like 20 minutes later and found that the tunnel expired on me, and now I can't create another one.

So now I'm screwed till tommorow. All on account of the fact you guys are incapable of dealing with problem users (you can't blacklist their IP's or something?) and would rather screw EVERYONE instead.   >:(   Sorry, but that is NOT a very professional business way to handle things.

Could you imagine what would happen of other internet services used the same kind of tactics to handle issues. Like an email host limiting all users to send only 1 email per day because some users were mass-mailing spam instead of just blocking the spammer accounts. Yeah, their switchboard and support email servers would explode from all the very angry users flooding them with complaints.

I chose you guys because you were recommended to me by a friend. But with this completely outrageous policy, it effectively makes the service mostly useless for people like me (who doesn't use IP6 on a regular basis and doesn't always have all his ducks in row before hand). To that end, I'll be switching tunnel brokers now (and I'll be sure to recommend the replacement I choose to my friend).

broquea

Quote from: artlover on July 26, 2009, 02:52:17 PM
I created 1 tunnel. Had to do something else unexpected real quick. Came back like 20 minutes later and found that the tunnel expired on me, and now I can't create another one.

In what way did the "tunnel expire"?

They don't "expire" at any time after you create one. You would have to choose to delete your tunnel, in order for it to go away and disappear from the system.

I reviewed the creation/deletion log and see that 30 minutes after creation, the tunnel was manually deleted by the user in the web interface:

2009-07-26 12:52:29     create_tunnel
2009-07-26 13:19:52     delete_tunnel

This existed as a limitation because some individuals out there would use a number of accounts and different IPv4 endpoints to create a number of tunnels, generate abuse in some fashion, then delete the tunnels right away and create new ones.

After some internal discussion, and reviewing how much abuse has actually gone down since first implementing 1 tunnel per day, we've upped the number to 3 tunnels per day. This has been retroactively applied to all active accounts and any future accounts created.

In the future if you encounter problems please email ipv6@he.net so that we can fix them.  Even if this is a free service we are constantly striving to improve it.

----------

Also, regarding a few posts ago about an automated tunnel-server recommendation, we implemented the tunnel-server auto-recommendation function for regular tunnel users. When creating a regular tunnel, the system determines which is best suited for your location. Users of course have the option to override the recommendation, especially in cases where the tunnel might be for a co-located machine and not the actual workstation they are using.

dataless

Quote from: artlover on July 26, 2009, 02:52:17 PM

So now I'm screwed till tommorow. All on account of the fact you guys are incapable of dealing with problem users (you can't blacklist their IP's or something?) and would rather screw EVERYONE instead.   >:(   Sorry, but that is NOT a very professional business way to handle things.

Could you imagine what would happen of other internet services used the same kind of tactics to handle issues. Like an email host limiting all users to send only 1 email per day because some users were mass-mailing spam instead of just blocking the spammer accounts. Yeah, their switchboard and support email servers would explode from all the very angry users flooding them with complaints.

I chose you guys because you were recommended to me by a friend. But with this completely outrageous policy, it effectively makes the service mostly useless for people like me (who doesn't use IP6 on a regular basis and doesn't always have all his ducks in row before hand). To that end, I'll be switching tunnel brokers now (and I'll be sure to recommend the replacement I choose to my friend).

Relax.. Take a deep breath...

There are only 3 major tunnel brokers in the US that I can find, and HE is the easiest to work with IMHO.

Sixxs tunnel creation is not automated like it is here, according to their site it can take days for them to setup a tunnel for you.

And Go6 requires you to use their software, and has very little info or help on their site.

When you are first getting started, the one tunnel per day thing does kinda suck.  But for the cost ($0.00) I don't see how anyone has much room to complain.  I'm thankful that HE gave me a tunnel (two actually) without charging me.

It's been a good learning experience and testing bed. 

But, if you are that upset then so be it.  I hope you have better luck on down the road.