• Welcome to Hurricane Electric's IPv6 Tunnel Broker Forums.

How to set up an Airport Extreme Base Station with HE Tunnel?

Started by imhotep2650, June 02, 2009, 03:11:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

imhotep2650

Hello,

I am trying to set up an Airport Extreme Base Station with firmware 7.4.1. But when i go into set it up on the IPv6 tab and enter in the information it is not working. Also when i go to my other macs and set ipv6 to automatic they are not pulling an ipv6 ip. What is the proper way to set up an airport to be used with an HE tunnel? also do the individual max have to be set up manually?

djoyce101

I'm seconding this.

I've been trying for a week now.  I can get a manual tunnel up with Sixxs.net, but not HE.
I'm not sure what the deal is, and unfortunately Apple's Airport's one huge flaw is the total lack of good feedback.

sirdir

Actually it just doesn't work if you get your 'outside' ipv4 address assigned by DHCP! I just entered the IP I usually get by DHCP manually and now everything works!
Stupid, took me hours to find out...

lethe

Yes, sirdir.  Originally (firmware 7.2.x), the AEBS was able to do a manual tunnel even when the device IP address was dynamic.  With firmware 7.3.x, this broke.  With firmware 7.4.x it remained broken.  It was fixed in firmware 7.5.  Unfortunately, firmware 7.5 hasn't been pushed out to any devices except the newest ones.  I hope that one day soon it will be.  It's really annoying that Apple broke some feature that worked when they sold it to me.  And the only way to fix it is to buy a new device?  That sucks.  So hopefully they push out the firmware to everyone soon soon.

Kaatje

The 7.5.x firmware is only available to the AEBS Dual-Band 2 devices (Late 2009 and newer). Due to the changes in the hardware, namely the radios, these are the only devices that will be able to use the newer 7.5.x firmware. The older AEBS has the latest firmware of 7.4.2.

CUTLER719NET

the manual setup hint from sirdir is something I want to try.

However, the labels in Airport Utility and the labels in the HE Tunnel Details are not the same. Can some kind soul please provide a translation table.

Thanks.

cholzhauer

I've never used an airport extreme...what are the entries you need to fill in on it?

webmany

Not sure if this affects other people, but I have a Airport Extreme with 7.5.1.  I have a tunnel configured and working, but every day or so the 5Mhz band would stop working.  I disabled IPv6 and everything has been stable (5 days now).

This was a brand new AE connected to DSL using PPPOE.  I also had to change the MTU on the computers connecting to 1427 to allow it to work with some sites (ipv6.he.net for example).