• Welcome to Hurricane Electric's IPv6 Tunnel Broker Forums.

Anycast configuration on Cisco IOS?

Started by ZeroByte, June 02, 2009, 09:57:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ZeroByte

HE's recent announcement of anycasted DNS servers is exactly my next pet project in my company's IPv6 pre-roll-out agenda. I've done a bit of leisurely googling and searching cisco's website directly, but the only thing that tends to pop out of the cauldron is RFCs on what anycasting is / how it works in general, or discussions about issues with it, such as TCP-based sockets, etc.

That's all well and good, but I'm looking into actually setting it up to work under production, and information of that nature seems scarce. I suspect that my IOS load is a bit antiquated since some of the commands they use differ in syntax from the commands on the HE.net certification tests....

Anyhow, I'd like to create an anycast address 2607:f9c8::d to be my network's "well-known" DNS resolver IPv6 address, and am not sure how to go about the task.

From my reading, the general steps would be: apply native IPv6 to the network segments where the DNS servers really live, and let them grab IPv6 addresses through autoconfig, or else set them up statically. Then on each router above each network segment, either configure the ::d address as an anycast and point it at the local address of the actual DNS server... or does the host register into an anycast group ala multicasting / mobile IPv6?

I know my version of IOS (12.2.4) doesn't support NEMO, for instance, and I am in the process of upgrading all of my IOS routers to 12.4-based loads for the most recent features. Should I be able to peck my way through the commands on an interface using the ? help feature, or is there some greater level of configuration that I need to put in place between the hosts and their default gateways?

I'm pretty sure that in the end, my ospf is going to have lots of routes for the anycast address, with each router choosing the closest one behind everyone's backs...

Any suggestions?