• Welcome to Hurricane Electric's IPv6 Tunnel Broker Forums.

News:

Welcome to Hurricane Electric's Tunnelbroker.net forums!

Main Menu

DNS anycast IPv4

Started by Ninho, August 11, 2009, 07:49:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ninho

On the tunnel details page it gives 2 anycast DNS server addresses, one IP6 and one IP4.

Still newbish, praytell what is the IPv4 DNS server (74.82.42.42) intended for ? Should it be used as a replacement for my regular IP4 DNS ? Or in addition to those ?

[edit: server IP address corrected]

broquea

Quote from: Ninho on August 11, 2009, 07:49:46 AM
On the tunnel details page it gives 2 anycast DNS server addresses, one IP6 and one IP4.

Still newbish, praytell what is the IPv4 DNS server (90.49.111.191) intended for ? Should it be used as a replacement for my regular IP4 DNS ? Or in addition to those ?

I've no idea what that IP address is, as it isn't ours. However the two we provide are available for tunnelbroker.net users to use for lookups over IPv6, and if need be, IPv4 as well. They are Google white-listed, so on a workstation/desktop you'd be able to view/connect to Google and it's services that they've IPv6 enabled.

Ninho

Thanks. I'll try your DNS servers.

"no idea what that IP address is, as it isn't ours."
I copied from the wrong line out of my notes (pencil-and-paper!), now corrected.

jimb

If you happen to run your own DNS server(s), you can also just set it up to use their servers for the google.com domain by creating a forward zone for it.  That's what I do.