• Welcome to Hurricane Electric's IPv6 Tunnel Broker Forums.

Other tunnel server locations planned.

Started by snarked, March 25, 2008, 12:59:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

snarked

I've read that you're planning a server for the middle of the U.S. in Dallas, Texas.

Any plans for Los Angeles, where you have 2 peering points?  I'm currently using a tunnel from Fremont with a transit time averaging about 14ms.  My colocation facility is just down the street from LAIIX (One Wilshire, not Equinix - where you also peer) and traceroute can't measure the RTT being less than 1ms, and only 5 hops per your looking glass tool (with 2 of those hops being routers in the facility I'm in).

So, after you add a server to address the middle of the U.S., do you plan to eventually have tunnels at your other peering locations?  (Seattle, LA, Chicago, and Miami)

broquea

Dallas, Chicago, Paris, Amsterdam.

That is all that is being planned for right now.
We'll look at additional locations over time.

kriteknetworks

When new tunnel servers go up, can we move existng tunnels to closer ones as well?

broquea

You can delete your existing tunnel and create a new one on the new server (until multiple tunnel support is finished). The netblocks for IPv6 are set per tunnel server, and non-transferable.

snarked

broquea

There will a be formal news announcement when they are live, but they should be getting deployed in the next week or so.

snarked

I also spoke a bit too soon.  My co-lo provider, being on brain-dead Cogent for its primary connection, seems to have recently made other plans.  It obtained its own /32 3 weeks ago - and also apparently has some sort of arrangement with HE now as its AS (27630) is now part of the AS macro "as-hurricane" run by we know who.  Therefore, I might actually have the chance to "go native" before a local tunnel endpoint comes to my region.  (I've also noted some IPv4 route changes in my city too.)

I call Cogent brain-dead because it turns out that they've had a /32 allocated to them in 2003 yet still haven't deployed IPv6 in their network, "the 6th largest peered network in the world" per their own statement on their network map image.  No wonder my co-lo provider took steps on its own.

snarked

It looks as if Seattle and Los Angeles are the only areas where HE has a point of presence yet not deployed a tunnel server.  Any plans for those last two areas?

(I consider all 5 points with 3 tunnel servers in the SF Bay area as one for purposes of this question.)

samh

Seattle and LAX should be deployed in the next week or so, keep an eye out for the announcement.

Sam

Quote from: snarked on June 26, 2008, 12:31:06 PM
It looks as if Seattle and Los Angeles are the only areas where HE has a point of presence yet not deployed a tunnel server.  Any plans for those last two areas?

(I consider all 5 points with 3 tunnel servers in the SF Bay area as one for purposes of this question.)

snarked

Just out of curiousity, where might this server be placed?  I can think of 2 locations where you have a "presence" (loosely defined):
- at LAIIX
- at AS27630 (HE announces for them, where I also happen to be - and they're still not IPv6 native yet).

If you don't want to disclose this publically, you may message me privately.

I'm curious because if it's where I am, it will be instantaneous, while at LAIIX, it will be 1ms for the 2.5 miles across a 10GBE trunk.  Also, if it's where I am, then maybe I won't need the tunnel - as my facility will have to have some native IPv6 to make it work.

broquea

Quote from: snarked on July 16, 2008, 12:48:09 PM
Just out of curiousity, where might this server be placed?  I can think of 2 locations where you have a "presence" (loosely defined):
- at LAIIX
- at AS27630 (HE announces for them, where I also happen to be - and they're still not IPv6 native yet).

If you don't want to disclose this publically, you may message me privately.

I'm curious because if it's where I am, it will be instantaneous, while at LAIIX, it will be 1ms for the 2.5 miles across a 10GBE trunk.  Also, if it's where I am, then maybe I won't need the tunnel - as my facility will have to have some native IPv6 to make it work.

Equinix-LA. I'll be down there tomorrow getting it racked while doing some other work.

broquea

Man Snarked, must have been hammering the F5 key waiting for LA to be an option!

You almost got a tunnel allocated before I could create one in my testing account to verify everything working! I don't even make an update post until I've done that, heh.

snarked

Actually, no. I just got lucky in that when I checked, the main page had been changed to list LA, so I went in and immediately switched.

I find a traceroute from home interesting:
The first 6 hops for BOTH paths are the same.
The route to the tunnel server from home is hop #7 (of 7).
The route to my co-located box from home is hop #9 (of 9) with #7 and #8 being routers at the colo facility.

It appears that the tunnel server is practically on the way for my route from home to my colo box.

BTW, the tunnel server is 4 hops from my box, again with the first 2 being routers in the colo facility.

While I'm posting this, i'm uploading my new configuration to switch away from Fremont, so I'm not active yet either (but will be in about 10 minutes).

snarked

Los Angeles - Tunnel works, but reverse DNS delegations don't seem enabled (yet).

snarked

Any plans for a tunnel server in Las Vegas, NV ("Sin City")?  I've noted that you've got some colocation site peering there and I'm looking to pick up an additional residence in the city.