• Welcome to Hurricane Electric's IPv6 Tunnel Broker Forums.

News:

Welcome to Hurricane Electric's Tunnelbroker.net forums!

Main Menu

multiple computers

Started by mthode, October 08, 2009, 12:39:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mthode

I am trying to get multiple computers on multiple subnets to use IPv6 through a tunnel provisioned through HE but have no idea where to start, what seems to happen is whenever I try to use the HE provided config for each of my servers it works for only one, if I use it (changing the address) for more then one only one gets out (ping6 ipv6.google.com).  Is there a way to get many servers to work with IPv6?

cholzhauer

You need some sort of router.  I'm assuming that you've taken your /48 that you were assigned and split it up into /64's? 

You'll need a router to do RA (unless you want to set everything up via static addressing) and then let the router figure out where everything should go.

What operating systems are you using?  What commands are you using to set up the tunnel?

mthode

I knew I should have included that, on the device I want to use as my router I do the following
It is Linux for the router (unless I can advertise over multiple interfaces it will have to be linux)
I would prefer to have this set up on my firewall (pfsense, freebsd based)

TUNNEL SETUP
ip tunnel add he-ipv6 mode sit remote 209.51.181.2 local 10.0.1.3 ttl 255
ip link set he-ipv6 up
ip addr add 2001:470:1f10:f8::4/64 dev he-ipv6
ip route add ::/0 dev he-ipv6

RADVD
interface eth0
{
AdvSendAdvert on;
prefix  2001:470:b8d9::/48
{
AdvOnLink on;
AdvAutonomous on;
};
};

cholzhauer

I think I'm confused.  You want to use a FreeBSD machine as a router?

In the mean time, you have your RADVD configured incorrectly.  You are announcing a /48, which will not work.  You need to announce a /64.  So:

should be

prefix 2001:470:b8d9:0000::/64 or something of that sort (the last 4 characters are really up to you)

mthode

Quote from: cholzhauer on October 08, 2009, 12:54:35 PM
I think I'm confused.  You want to use a FreeBSD machine as a router?

In the mean time, you have your RADVD configured incorrectly.  You are announcing a /48, which will not work.  You need to announce a /64.  So:

should be

prefix 2001:470:b8d9:0000::/64 or something of that sort (the last 4 characters are really up to you)

what I posted for radvd was incorrect, it is a /64 and a second server does get an ipv6 address.  I just cannot ping.

cholzhauer

QuoteI just cannot ping.

can you ping from your freebsd router?

Can you post the routing tables for both your router and your workstation?

Also, post the output of "ifconfig -a" on your workstation

mthode

Quote from: cholzhauer on October 08, 2009, 01:02:36 PM
QuoteI just cannot ping.

can you ping from your freebsd router?

Can you post the routing tables for both your router and your workstation?

Also, post the output of "ifconfig -a" on your workstation

ok, I was advertising the wrong subnet 2001:470:1f10:f8::/64 is now 2001:470:1f11:f8::/64

mthode

ok, now that that is fixed it is working :D
now I need to figure out if radvd works across many interfaces and install it on pfsense/freebsd

cholzhauer

Quoteow I need to figure out if radvd works across many interfaces

yes, it does.  You just need to tell it what interfaces to advertise on.  Fxp0, bge0, ect.