• Welcome to Hurricane Electric's IPv6 Tunnel Broker Forums.

News:

Welcome to Hurricane Electric's Tunnelbroker.net forums!

Main Menu

Linksys WRT54G problems!!

Started by Stalker22, November 12, 2009, 09:53:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Stalker22

I'm trying to set-up IPv6 with my computer (Windows XP) and I keeping running into some issues and I have narrowed it down to being the router (linksys WRT54G).  When I direct connect to my modem everything works great.  When I connect the router to set-up the home network I get the message:  "Error: Your IPv4 endpoint is unreachable or unstable. Please make sure ICMP is not blocked. "

I found the following link:  http://opensystems.wordpress.com/2006/06/01/linksys-wrt54g-ipv6-howto/

I was just wondering if there was a better or easier way to achieve IPv6 with my setup.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. 

snarked

I think you need to turn on the DMZ function and direct it to the machine that will handle the endpoint.

jimb

You may also want to look into some of the open source firmware out there for your hardware, such as OpenWRT.  Many of those allow you to do 6in4 tunnels and such on the routers themselves.   There's a bunch of them for various hardware.

snarked

Note:  The OP's question sought alternatives to flashing the firmware.

Stalker22

Ya, I have tried the DMZ method and no such luck.  I looked into the open source firmware stuff and found it a bit confusing.  If I change some of those setting I'm wondering if I will loose some functionality of the router?  If you know of any issues or a safe method I could try, I would greatly appreciate it.

Thank you for your time,

Stalker out!

jimb

Generally, the open source firmware gains one functionality, as opposed to losing it.  But yeah, it can be more complicated to configure the device, etc.

JoelMay

The problem is your IPv4 needs to be pingable.  On the security tab there is an option like Block Anonymous Internet Requests.  Disable that and it should work, it did for me on that router model.  It's wise to enable that after setting it up.