• Welcome to Hurricane Electric's IPv6 Tunnel Broker Forums.

News:

Welcome to Hurricane Electric's Tunnelbroker.net forums!

Main Menu

IPv6 Glue

Started by nunojpg, December 05, 2009, 04:42:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

nunojpg

Hi,

I completed all other certification levels but I'm stuck on the last.
I don't understand(or don't know if I understand) what is IPv6 glue.

The domain(.com) I'm using for testing is registered on godaddy.
The nameservers are: NS42.DOMAINCONTROL.COM and NS41.DOMAINCONTROL.COM.
Adding IPv6 glue isn't just find if this 2 domains have AAAA records and add them on my DNS entries?

If so they don't have AAAA records, and godaddy e-mail support say they don't support it.

Regards,
Nuno

cholzhauer

godaddy supports it...they just say they dont for some reason...im doing ipv6 glue with .com and .net through them. 

there is a post by baroqe, which i probably spelled wrong, that tells you all about how to set it up through godaddy..search the forums to find it. I wouls get you the link, but its hard to search the forums from my phone

jimb

Godaddy does support IPv6 glue records.  I use 'em.  At least for the .cc domain they do.  I presume they support the addition of IPv6 host entries (aka glue) in .com too.  

cholzhauer

snarked

Note:  If you're using GD's name servers and NOT those under your own domain, you will NOT have glue.

nunojpg

I'm confused.

> Note:  If you're using GD's name servers and NOT those under your own domain, you will NOT have glue.

I'm using GD free name servers, yes. So they don't support IPv6?
What godaddy support is IPv6 glue records for my own/external, ipv6 reachable, nameservers?

Regards,
Nuno

cholzhauer

right.  as long as you have a .com or .net, and there are probably others, GD supports ipv6 glue.

GD also supports AAAA forward look ups

broquea

The godaddy nameservers themselves are not v6 enabled, so no glue using them as authoritative for your domain. run a name server, either dual-stack or on ipv6, create a host record for it under godaddy's panel pointing to that name server, and it will exist inside your domain.

jimb

Quote from: nunojpg on December 12, 2009, 04:09:44 PM
I'm confused.

> Note:  If you're using GD's name servers and NOT those under your own domain, you will NOT have glue.

I'm using GD free name servers, yes. So they don't support IPv6?
What godaddy support is IPv6 glue records for my own/external, ipv6 reachable, nameservers?

Regards,
Nuno
GoDaddy's name servers aren't IPv6 connected AFAIK, so there are no AAAA records for their name servers.  Thus, if you use godady's name servers themselves to answer for your domains, there can't be IPv6 glue records.  

However, if you have your own name servers, GoDaddy will allow you to add name servers for your domains with AAAA records associated with them.  These are ultimately pushed to the TLD registries for your domains, and result in NS and AAAA records being entered into the TLD registries' name servers, thus, glue records (aka "host records") are generated for your domains.

EDIT: If you're wondering, the answer is yes:  Domain registrars essentially act as "middlemen" when it comes to registering your domain and provisioning name servers if you run your own name server, or point to someone else's.  Although, in some cases it might be possible that certain registrars also host some (or all) of the DNS servers for a particular TLD.  For instance, .cc is run by Network Solutions which is a domain registrar.  If you do a dig of cc you'll see that all of their name servers are xy.nstld.com (Network Solutions Top Level Domain).

nunojpg

Thank you all!

Regards,
Nuno

davided

I've checked several Domain registrars that also provide dns service and while many support ipv6 if you use your own dns servers, none that I contacted yet have ipv6 glue records for their own dns service.  So does anyone know of a Domain registrar that can also provide full ipv6 dns service? 

jimb

IMHO it'd take less effort to set up your own DNS server, even temporarily.