• Welcome to Hurricane Electric's IPv6 Tunnel Broker Forums.

IPv4 CNAME @ Free DNS

Started by MrTimpi, May 31, 2010, 10:03:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MrTimpi

Hi,

I couldnt find any operational guide for the Free DNS service you guys provide, and Ive run in to some trouble.

I want to run my home lab environment trough ipv4 as usual but provide a route for others with ipv6.
I've got a setup with a CentOS host acting tunnel endpoint + router for my /64 ipv6 block. Then a NAT Firewall doing all the IPv4 stuff as usual on the side. Both with public IPv4 addresses.

As i only get dynamic IP's from my ISP (5 addresses max), I use DynDns to give me a resolvable name for IPv4. This DynDns alias I map as a CNAME, but when running nslookup -> server ns1.he.net -> cnamehost.domain.com i get a "*** ns1.he.net can't find the cnamehost.domain.com: Server failed". Where it should have found the dyndns alias and then correct IPv4 address. the record has been there for well over 2 days now.

This setup has worked great for me while using Zoneedit then everydns with ipv4. Zoneedit offers AAAA records also, but i tought i would try the he.net DNS.

Is it a bug that I dont get ipv4 response for a cname of DynDns aliases?

Rgds
Tim

broquea

ns1-5 isn't caching, they are authoritative only. If you create a zone and then the record, ns1 could be queried as it will have that data. Otherwise it won't give answers for things it doesn't know about. Perhaps you meant to check against a caching recursor?

Also providing dummy information like "cnamehost.domain.com", doesn't really help us when looking into issues.

MrTimpi

that explains..
I tested with my ISPs dns that are caching and it can correctly resolve both ipv6 and ipv4 trough your awesome service. Sorry for not testing that first.

Good thing is i learned a new thing today, bad thing i feel like a n00b ^^

Cheers and thanks