• Welcome to Hurricane Electric's IPv6 Tunnel Broker Forums.

News:

Welcome to Hurricane Electric's Tunnelbroker.net forums!

Main Menu

SNMP data for IPv6 Tunnel

Started by dclough, January 13, 2010, 10:17:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dclough

So I've got one of my tunnels set up on my home Cisco router, andi it's humming along nicely.  I've even got the tunnel set up on MRTG for the router.

However, there's an obvious flaw to adding that tunnel interface - It's not actually showing anything!  Every couple of hours I see a 16bps spike (keepalive?), but no actual readout of IPv6 traffic because it's not an actual physical interface.  Fa0/0, the uplink on the router, shows the aggregate bandwidth, but obviously I can't differentiate between v4 and v6 using a single green-colored graph.

I'm looking for a creative way to single out the IPv6 traffic so I can see how much IPv6 is *actually* being utilized on my network.  Has anyone been able to accomplish this using MRTG?

jimb

There's no reason it shouldn't be able to graph your 6in4 interface separately.  You may have to manually set up your MRTG configuration or something, since it could be ignoring tunnel interfaces or something like that.  Usually when the autoconfig script does that, it includes but comments them out.  Also, makes sure your SNMP server is working correctly.  I know the OS keeps counters for my tunnel interface, so MRTG should be able to graph it.

dclough

Yep, I checked that, the tunnel interface is uncommented and is being graphed, with random spikes of data.  The only thing is that it's not actually graphing any traffic that's IPv6-based.