• Welcome to Hurricane Electric's IPv6 Tunnel Broker Forums.

IPv6 identd over tunnelbroker.net

Started by generalmx, February 24, 2010, 08:49:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

generalmx

I have a tunnel setup both on my router (pfSense) and on my server (as I haven't setup IPv6 routing yet with pfSense, which doesn't support it by default). My router currently identifies using a version of widentd. I've noticed that connecting to IPv6 IRC nodes I'm not identified.

I am a bit new to tracking IPv6<->IPv4 tunnel traffic and am having a hard time figuring out this simple question: is the request sent by the IPv6 IRC node for ident going to be received by the router as IPv6 or IPv4? If it's IPv6, then I probably need a IPv6-ready version of widentd then. If it's IPv4, then the request is not properly being handled (perhaps sent to the server since the server has its own tunnel?)

I used the nmap option on the main tunnelbroker hub and found out the identd port is not open and ready.

jimb

If you connect to the IRC server using IPv6, the ident request will be over IPv6 ... otherwise how would it know where to send the ident request?

generalmx

Quote from: jimb on February 24, 2010, 08:54:19 PM
If you connect to the IRC server using IPv6, the ident request will be over IPv6 ... otherwise how would it know where to send the ident request?

Well yes, I kinda figured that. What I'm trying to figure out is how it's routed (or right now, not routed).

Computer A IPv6 -> IPv4-to-IPv6 Tunnel on Computer A -> router IPv6 -> IPv6 IRC Node

So is it...

IPv6 IRC Node Ident Request -> router IPv6 NEW

or...

IPv6 IRC Node Ident Request -> router IPv6 ESTABLISHED -> Computer A IPv6

or even...

IPv6 IRC Node Ident Request -> router IPv6 ESTABLISHED -> Computer A IPv6-to-IPv4

If it's the first as a NEW request then I just need to figure out how to enable / compile IPv6 into widentd (which is on the *router*).

Edit: Tried to make it a little easier to understand.

jimb

If you have a separate tunnel to your router and to the 'server' (the host you're making the IRC connection from?  Or perhaps it's an IRC server itself???  It's not completely clear.) then any ident requests would go over their respective tunnels.

If the IRC traffic is being initiated by the "server" you speak of in the first post, it'd completely bypass your router.

Whether the traffic goes through any number of IPv6 in IPv4 tunnels or not at any point in the route to the IRC server shouldn't make any difference.

The identd process needs to support IPv6, and listen on an IPv6 enabled interface, otherwise it can't answer any request sent by the IRC server.  Specifically, the identd must listen on the interface through which the IRC connection is being made (using the source IPv6 your IRC client is using).