• Welcome to Hurricane Electric's IPv6 Tunnel Broker Forums.

Miami tunnel server or peering down?

Started by Midnight, March 03, 2010, 10:45:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Midnight

Just wondering if anyone's aware of a problem within HE's Miami portion of the network.  This morning I had connectivity to my subnet over IPv6...now I don't.  After verifying it wasn't any funny business on my equipment (down cable connection or a problem with the tunnel setup on my router/firewall), I simply decided to ping the tunnel server IPv4 address and nothing.  When I trace from my system (over IPv4) to my tunnel server (after finding I could no longer ping the tunnel server), from my Comcast cable connection, the trace goes cold at the HURRICANE-ELECTRIC-LLC-Ashburn.TenGigabitEthernet4-4.ar3.DCA3.gblx.net (64.214.121.170) hop.

Is there some maintenance going on, or something?  Just wondering.  That server is also not reachable over IPv4 from a Sprint T1 also in the southern Florida area.

Slightly off topic but possibly related...
I noticed a couple weeks ago, I used to have round trip latency from my subnet to the tunnel server even over IPv6 in the lower 40ms range, this past week it was over 80ms.  I was saddened by the fact that my network didn't rank on HE's top 20 tunnels by latency page any more.  Why would that suddenly change if I get sub 20ms latency all throughout the Comcast network and my setup hasn't changed?  A trace showed the latency only started to skyrocket after it traversed from Comcast's network to gblx and more after gblx to HE...just wondering...

snarked

According to http://www.tunnelbroker.net/status.php the tunnel server is up.  Perhaps it's a routing problem.

Midnight

Quote from: snarked on March 03, 2010, 11:25:45 AM
According to http://www.tunnelbroker.net/status.php the tunnel server is up.  Perhaps it's a routing problem.

That was the first thing I checked.  Then I checked my equipment to make sure something wasn't screwy with its setup.  But nothing.  Then it was when I pinged the tunnel server from my connection that I realized something was up.  I'm at work now and pinging from a different ISP, different kind of connection (Sprint T1 vs my Comcast Cable modem) still shows that I cannot ping the Miami tunnel server, and the trace dies at the GBLX to HE hand off.  So I suspect a routing or peering issue.

I'm almost tempted to change my tunnel server to the Ashburn one, as I can ping that, and I get better times to that server than I did to the Miami server even though I live only about an hours drive away from Miami, go figure...

Edit: DoH!  I just read in the forum guides that I should probably email HE rather than create a post...I guess I'll go do that.

Midnight

Well as of 1500 EST, according to their stats page it currently shows as down...that answers that.

broquea

Fiber cut in the area, waiting for ETR (last I saw was 30mins from noon Pacific).

Midnight

Thanks Mr. Broquea, everything looks operational now as of 1520 Easter Standard.  :)