• Welcome to Hurricane Electric's IPv6 Tunnel Broker Forums.

Easy Tunnel setup for windows xp router and xp desktops

Started by skriglitz, May 13, 2010, 10:50:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

skriglitz

I have found a way to easily get xp systems to communicate locally and also to and from the internet:

windows router:
netsh interface ipv6 install
netsh interface ipv6 add v6v4tunnel IP6Tunnel <Your IPv4 Endpoint> <Your PoP IPv4 Endpoint>
netsh interface ipv6 add address IP6Tunnel <Your Client IPv6 Endpoint>
netsh interface ipv6 add route ::/0 IP6Tunnel <Your PoP IPv6 Endpoint> publish=yes
netsh interface ipv6 set interface IP6Tunnel forwarding=enabled
netsh interface ipv6 set interface "<Your Internal Interface>" forwarding=enabled advertise=enabled

Tunnel Network:
netsh interface ipv6 add route <Your Routed Tunnel Prefix>/<Your Routed Prefix (/64 or /48)> "<Your Internal Interface>" publish=yes

Optional Extra IP:
netsh int ipv6 add address "<Your Internal Interface>" <Your Routed Tunnel Prefix + Address>

Then do this for each pc you want on your IPv6 Tunneled Network:
netsh interface ipv6 install
netsh interface ipv6 add route ::/0 "<Your Internal Interface>" nexthop=<Your PoP IPv6 Endpoint>

Optional Extra IP:
netsh int ipv6 add address "<Your Internal Interface>" <Your Routed Tunnel Prefix + Address>

Repeat the Tunnel Network portion for each network if you have more than one on the same router.
For the extra IP the <Your Routed Tunnel Prefix + Address> can be something along the lines of  2001:470:xxxx::xxxx for routed /48 or 2001:470:1f0f:xxxx::xxxx for routed /64.

now you should be able to ping6 or ping -6 your IPv6 addresses from each other and your PoP IPv6 address and you should also be able to use
http://whatismyipv6.everdot.org/
to view your IPv6 address and also use
http://www.subnetonline.com/pages/ipv6-network-tools/online-ipv6-ping.php
to ping yourself from the internet.

This should also work with vista and windows 7 but at the time of writing this I have neither on hand. Good luck to you new IPv6 users and I wish you well.

jimb

Hrm.  Second such thread in as many days:  http://www.tunnelbroker.net/forums/index.php?topic=918.0

A few observations:

You shouldn't route a /48 to your LAN.  LANs take /64s.  If your /48 is on the other side of another router, it's fine to point the whole thing to that router of course.

RA should advertise the default route you set to publish.  At least in the other thread it seems like it did.  This should cause the default route to your tunnel router to be advertised to clients and autoconfig.  It might be that you need to put a public IPv6 on your LAN interface, although it should be fine advertising the link local for the default.

It's interesting that you see adding an IPv6 out of your routed /64 (or /64 from a /48) as "optional".  Another poster seemed to have the same idea.  I see that as "normal".  If you have some /64 on your LAN, the router should have an address from it too, no?

skriglitz

I did set the RA to advertise and it did mostly as not all systems picked up an IP as I set my network as static. So any DHCP systems would pick it up but most statics wouldn't. Also the optional is for setting an IP of your own choosing and not choosing a random IP.

chandro

sorry if this is an old post, but i cannot configure the tunnel on my xp or win7, how to know if is the provider the problem of that??

thanks
2001:0:0:7::B0ND

cholzhauer

Gonna need some more info...what commands did you use to set up your tunnel?  Are you behind a NAT?