• Welcome to Hurricane Electric's IPv6 Tunnel Broker Forums.

Net help with a complete IPV6 setup on Cisco

Started by Jotne, May 18, 2010, 02:00:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jotne

Hi

I need help to setup a complete IPv6 network using a Cisco 1812 router.
I do have an Tunnel setup on this site and the tunnel itself do work to Hurricane.
My problem is how to setup the inside interface.
What do I use as the Inside IPv6 address "Client IPv6 address" or "Routed /48:" or "Routed /64:"?
How do I handle DHCP (do I need it at all)?
How to setup the DNS so that the client get it automatically?
I do use a Win7 PC a IPv6 client.

My goal is to have all up and running without any IPv4 address, except for the tunnel, no IPv4 on lan side?
A complete working Cisco config would be nice.

Thanks

cholzhauer

You need to use /64's; you need to select one or more /64's from the HE provided /48.  (depending on the number of networks you have internally)

You have two main options to distribute addresses: Router Advertisement or DHCPv6.  If you need/want to do DNS, you'll want to use DHCPv6.

If you use DHCPv6, you will need to change some settings on the Windows 7 machines to accept the DHCP (by default it does RA)

mikea

All you should need to make it work on the 1812 is the following for either RA or DHCPv6:

DHCPv6 autoconf + DNS
=====================

(global configuration)
ipv6 unicast-routing
ipv6 dhcp pool v6pool
address prefix 2001:470:.....::/64  (can take this from the routed /64 or /48 that HE gives you)
dns-server 2001:470:20::2    (HE v6 DNS server)
ipv6 route ::/0 Tunnel0

(inside interface configuration)
interface X
ipv6 address 2001:470:......::1/64  (address from same subnet as in dhcp pool above)
ipv6 enable
ipv6 nd ra suppress
ipv6 dhcp server v6pool

RA, no DNS
============

(global configuration)
ipv6 unicast-routing
ipv6 route ::/0 Tunnel0

(inside interface configuration)
interface X
ipv6 address 2001:470:......::1/64  (can take this from the routed /64 or /48 that HE gives you)
ipv6 enable